*NO* Super Mario RPG 'Italian Vagrant'

djpretzel

Worth taking a second listen to, IMO - djp

i think the above url should take you directly to downloading my thing here.

I'm pretty happy with this. THe original is the world map theme from MarioRPG on super nintendo. just 2 chords but i tried to make it more interesting. i have been following your site for years, since it was an ity bity thing, and im happy to see how much its grown. i hope you enjoy this.

please email me back with what you think, and if youre considering posting it. thanks man, -evan copelly (mobilize)

There's something really weird going on with that xylophone instrument. Something about the harmony rubs me the wrong way. There seem to be some really weird note choices.

Interesting expansion. The guitar is such an abrupt change; I'm not sure I like it. Plus you've got this thing you keep doing, playing those notes really loud to break up the pretty guitar. Sequenced to guitar to sequenced don't really have transitions; they just sound concatenated together.

Interesting, but I'm gonna say NO.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, this is a strange one. I'd almost expect to hear it in a Charlie Kaufman film.

The instrumentation is a mish mash of ideas, and I'm not sure if they work together. The original's piano, synth strings, off-kilter xylophone, industrial snares, hissy guitar recording with strikingly loud on beat strumming... I think that covers it.

But what can count for rearrangement is really only the looping xylo, as the new guitar has little bearing on the theme and is pretty much filler. Not much ReMixage. Neat ideas and a great title, though.

NO

First impression - major sound quality issues. Some effects seem intentional, some don't.

The guitar work is a good idea, and in general is executed well. However, the recording is very substandard. The hissy background, peaking strums, etc. Sounds like either a bad mic or lack of a decent preamp.

In transitions from the more intense percussive sections, there is an abrupt cutoff of the ambient fx in the soundfield. This, along with noticeable skips between some notes/samples, makes for a messy presentation.

Not much to talk about in the arrangement portion. A pretty basic arrangement, and the additions do little to enhance or redirect the feel of the original.

The mallet instrument doesn't sound much like a xylophone, and it sticks out a bit. In a bad, awkward way, not a cool, funky way.

Work on recording technique, arrangement and sound quality.

NO

-D