OCR01146 - Jet Grind Radio "Late Night Sneakin'"

djpretzel

Sorry dude i've listened to your track many a time it makes me sad to say; you missed the groove that both the originals have while it isn't ghastly it ain't in my view worthy of being under the Jet Set Radio or even the remix brackets, try listening to the medley on the sound track, while it isn't a remix from the quality timing it wouldn't make it hard to become one. I'm a hardcore JSR/JGR/JSRF fan and I pretty disappointed with this.

Ironically enough, having listened to "Sneakman" for Song of the Week, Week #34's voting today, I thought this mix took a decent original and completely improved it. There's way more energy in this ReMix as compared to "Sneakman", and I'd pick it over the original any day. If I was a Judge back when this was decided, the vote only would have only been more decisively in this mix's favor. Great job, HB.

Ironically enough, having listened to "Sneakman" for Song of the Week, Week #34's voting today, I thought this mix took a decent original and completely improved it. There's way more energy in this ReMix as compared to "Sneakman", and I'd pick it over the original any day. If I was a Judge back when this was decided, the vote only would have only been more decisively in this mix's favor. Great job, HB

Did you also listen to the original version of "Let mom sleep"? What the composer did recreate (which I forgot to acknowldge and for that I apologise) was the energy, especially from let mom sleep. The remix was too "jungle" for the originals ie. too much bongo too little break-beats, I personally think the composer fused the wrong elements from the songs with one another. Maybe a "That's Enough" and Everybody Jump Around" remix would've been better.

• 3 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

really rocking percussion, but dizammn, that's a lot of vocal samples. Rhythmically, they are well used, but geez, I just want to jam! ;_;

The track itself definitely fits the arrangement standards, but that doesn't mean that i'm horribly distracted by it. I'd really dig the track otherwise, but it's just too much for my sample-weak stomach.

"Would you quit playing with those vocal samples? I'm trying to enjoy the mix!"

• 2 months later...

It's definitely a faithful blend/maintenance of the manic moods of both sources while tightening up their activity. The voice clips are obnoxious IMO, but I can appreciate the liberties taken in placing/splicing/cutting them up in the spirit of the originals without stifling the percussion. Even the ending is a nod to how the sources end, further upping the impression that this came off the OST.

And who doesn't love 1:14-1:50? It feels both like a freestyle playground and an arrangement challenge. It really outgrows its borders.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, this still sounds really fresh. I've completely forgotten about this mix, and I can't ever remember liking it as much as I do now. Maybe it's because I started getting into The Avalanches a year or two ago, which this is strikingly similar to in that it is a great standalone piece held together with some clever voice samples.

I'm not the biggest proponent for voice samples, but when they are chosen for their rhythmic nuances over their context or subject matter like they are here and with The Avalanches' work, I find it hard not to get behind it. It works too well to turn my nose up at.

Not much to say about the actual sounds and samples really, since most of it is lifted. But the drums stand out for good reason, I think they hold up and give the piece some accent that does a decent jo of establishing a defected identity for itself. It's ability to emancipate from the direction of the source is probably the only reason this mix got through, and I'm glad it did.

I've been an outsider looking in at Jet Grind Radio, but its always been on my 'To Play' list. I had no idea the soundtrack was such a refreshing explosion of energy and groove. To hell with the gameplay, I think I'm in love already. Will definitely be checking it out, thanks to this mix that has been greatly underloved by me for far too long.

• 4 years later...
  • Liontamer changed the title to OCR01146 - Jet Grind Radio "Late Night Sneakin'"