*NO* Golgo 13 'The Man, The Mafat' *FT*

analoq

Title: The Man, The Mafat

Arranger: Space Lion

Game: Golgo 13: The Mafat Conspiracy (Japanese title is 'Golgo 13: Riddle of Icarus')

Source: NSF set at Zophar's Domain (the original BGM should be at the tenth track)

Filename: ocrmafat.mp3

I submitted it to OCR (and got the confirmation message) back in December 2003, but I'm sure you didn't get it because the URL where the MP3 was hosted was killed. So, I'm requesting a fallthrough for this arrangement.

This is an arrangement of the stage 1 tune in the game. The electric guitar is live, the other instruments (bass, sax, piano, and strings) came from the synth, and the percussion was generated by a drum machine. All of the arranging, playing, recording, sequencing, and mixing duties were handled by myself.

There were a few things I didn't like about the original completed arrangement, and I made some minor changes to it. What you're getting here is the remastered version.

There are some balance issues with this. Strings are boring. Nothing but sustained chords, all in the same place the guitar and sax are; everything sounds crowded. They're a bit too far forward and loud. The guitar playing is alright but it's pushed far back.

Sax solo sounded unnatural and amateurish. I don't like the sax sample either. :(

Repetitive too.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

Many tonal issues here between instruments playing in unison; timbres become especially flat given the poor sound quality. Percussion is extremely weak. Piano and guitar do give a welcome break from the other instrumentation, though.

Good improv and soloing, but more than a simple rendition of the melody and better mixing is necessary.

NO

My biggest problem here is panning and lack of EQ separation. Instruments combine with each other too much. Panning instruments further away from center would be a good idea. You also encoded this too high, we have a 192kbps bitrate limit.

I love the style of this. There are very few mixes of this style at OCR. I hope you decide to work on this a little more and polish it up.

Borderline NO.