*NO* Chrono Cross 'Passeggiavamo Lungo la Spiaggia'

djpretzel

Artist: Justin Straziante

Title: Passeggiavamo Lungo la Spiaggia

Game: Chrono Cross

Orig. Track: Another World

Composer: Yasunori Mitsuda

Size: ~4300KB

VGMix is probably the most reliable of the three, but I think they change your tags. Anyways, on to the mix. I took a little bit of liberty with most of the piece because the original track has such a simple structure, yet it's beautifully simplistic. I wanted to experiment with a few time changes, new harmonies and melodies, all while keeping a somewhat ambient feel that matches with the original elements of the song. I used a crashing wave sample to keep the maritime Chrono Cross feel intact. I think the main "WTF!?" I get about the song is "What's up with the beginning and end of the song? What are those time sigs?" After the first 4 measures of 4/4:

4/4, 3/4, 7/8, 4/4, 5/8, 4/4, 3/4, 7/8, 4/4, 5/8, 3/8.

• 4 weeks later...

My problem with this mix is that with all its intricacies, it's still thin, sparse, and weak. The introing synth guitar (?) panned right is notated strangely, making for weird tonalities, and it's a feeble sound to begin with. Drums are doing neat stuff, but they too sound limp, especially with stagnant velocities. Enlivening these samples with some major tweakage and filling the dry holes in the sequencing could make this sound lively and rich.

NO

well MY problem with the remix is the harsh placement of the right chords in ONE key against the right melody in a DIFFERENT key. Experimenting for the sake of experimenting is ok, but it's often hard to sell unless the end result is enjoyable, and this doesn't quite do that.

Forget CD ripping errors, the nearly atonal nature of the piece is what kills it for me.

NO

D