*NO* Halo & Halo 3 'Dawn of a New Age' *RESUB*

Palpable

Very different from previous versions of the song - palp

Original decision: http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=18439

2nd decision: http://ocremix.org/forums/showthread.php?t=20221

Remixer Name: Sweendrix

Email Address: Sweendrix@yahoo.com

Youtube.com/Sweendrix

Games Arranged Halo 1 and Halo 3. Remix of the Original Halo Theme and the Menu Music (Unforgotten) from Halo 3.

Name of Remix: Dawn of a New Age

This remix was made solely with a Pod XT Live, a Guitar, and Acid music studio.

---------------------------------------------------------------

, Unforgotten

Some minor nitpicks on production, with some percussion being a bit pointy, and the panned gated synth piercing a little, but otherwise I dug it. Definitely a slow burn track, and good guitar tone for the style, which is crucial. The guitar performance was also pretty nice, and though there was a lot of noodling, the themes were pretty obvious. Good addition and expansion to the generally chord based sources. I dig it.

Vocal effects took up a lot of time, but were well suited, i assume they are from in game, because they are well acted, and timed well to increase the drama. The ones in the middle also had a bit too much bite in the high end, but it didn't ruin the track for me.

I think that even with some of the production issues, that this passes muster. It just needs to have the file size cut in half, 15mb is ridonkulous.

yes

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Cool arrangement. I always have a problem judging Halo subs because of the lack of strong melodies in the sources, but I felt like I could hear the sources in this most of the time. I'm impressed that you've changed the arrangement from version to version so much and still come up with cool things to do with these songs.

This is produced better than previous versions of this, but I still feel like it's flawed. :| It's close, don't get me wrong, but the instruments mush together too much and they aren't emphasized in the right places. The leads don't cut through, the drums don't have fullness but have too much high-end. I'm sorry, John, I have to pass. I'd recommend listening to more music in this style and really comparing part by part what instruments fill what ranges. Please keep going with this one!

NO (resubmit)

Yeah, I don't know why we keep getting these subs in 320kbps at 10+MB. I think he figures if it passes, he'll give up an encoding under our size & bitrate limit (192kbps or 8MB, whichever comes first).

Cool audio drama stuff to open things up. Was that original or sampled?

The drums were still on cruise control for way too long without ever changing up, but I liked the new sounds chosen for the patterns a lot more. Still the drumwork didn't really add movement to the piece. For some sections, it felt like a song without drums that just had the pattern pasted in underneath. If you're not interested in writing any new drum patterns to switch things up, at least play around with the levels & EQing so that they sound more integrated with the music.

The mixing & performance was definitely improved compared to the previous versions, but everything Palpable said was true in that the balance wasn't quite there yet.

Damn, I definitely want this posted because the arrangement is stronger than ever, but the production/mixing is still holding this back. Hopefully you're not frustrated, John, because the reworking you've done for this track so far has definitely been a significant improvement. It shows that you're improving and refining your technique, and you've been raising your game. Now you just need to put it over the top by making sure the levels of the different parts are properly balanced and EQed, and by varying the drum patterns to make them feel better integrated with each section of the arrangement.

Normally I'd say call it a done deal, but if you don't make it with this version, you wouldn't be the first person to pass on a 3rd resub. Aside from the drums, the arrangement/writing is totally cool and doesn't need to be touched at all. It's just about refining the production now, IMO. Definitely go for it and bother anyone you have to to get the feedback you need. Js, any advice you can give on that level would be appreciated.

NO (resubmit)

That opening dialog is sampled from a Halo 3 commercial:

. Pretty well used here, I like that. I also like the arrangement even more than I did the last time. Both themes were combined nicely.

The drum writing could have been more interesting, but overall I don't think that was a major negative. They definitely could use more beef, though. The balancing is also weird in a few places. The main rough patches where clarity took a big dive were 2:12 and 4:55. This is really close, but I think a little more production work would take this over top. This is definitely improved from the last version, but there's just a little bit more to go.

NO (resubmit)

My main production gripe is that the guitars don't always cut through the way they should. This could be because of too much reverb, but another solution might be just to boost a bit above 2 or 3kHz. I'd try reducing the reverb first though. Particularly the lead guitar around 3 minutes in doesn't sound right with that short delay with the reverb. Gives it a a room sound that doesn't really fit the style. You could also really use a bass to fill out the bottom. Right now the low end is a bit thin and mushy.

As with most halo remixes, I find the arrangement to be a bit boring, but this is really the fault of the source material, as far as I can tell. I think this is pretty close, so I'm going to

NO, Resubmit