*NO* Dance Dance Revolution 3rd Mix 'Gentler Stress'

djpretzel

AFAIK, yes this can be remixed.

This lacks the vibe of the orginal, and sounds empty and weak by comparison.

The sounds don't gel together in this mix.

Not really different from the orginal, apart from a key change somewhere in the song.

This to me sounds like the original, stripped down and then given different instruments. And I'm sure I could hear random off key hits coming in at times.

NO

• 3 weeks later...

I have not herrd the original, so this review will be coming from a place ---------> over here.

Like old Fat-Ass Protricity, I really enjoy the square-wave/guitar riffing and solo work. It's really high on the kewl scale. However, kewlness cannot stand by itself, I dare say. The vast majority of the song sounds very hollow, as if a range of instrument were neglected or downplayed far too low.

But I like it, and I have no doubt it's because I have no perception of the original. I'll vote yes, on the grounds that panelists far more knowledgeable and wordly than I can negate my vote, if need be.

YES

Actually, the true original was simply called "Gentle Stress," and first appeared in DDR in 2nd Mix Append -Club v2-. It originally came from Beatmania, I believe, although I don't know off hand which mix/style.

Also, here's the original: [removed]

The remixed version, from 3rd Mix, which I assume the remixer specified this remix came from, can be found here: [removed]

As for THIS remix:

Immediate impulse is that, as a song which seems to be trying to emulate the actual style of the original, this isn't as enjoyable. Some of the sounds used are kind of neat, but really, this isn't much different from the original. The drums are lackluster, which isn't a good thing when this particular style of music tends to focus on drum work. Lots of repetition here. And I'm sorry, a guitar playing the SAME solo, but with a few pitch bends thrown in, just does not spice it up enough. Over all, there just isn't enough here. Most of the song sounds really empty and as though it's missing something. I think part of the problem is that the piano is taking on the role of the bass, and it just doesn't really work here. Some of the key changes are pretty neat, but... I don't know, I guess I'm kind of borderline on this one.

Spice up the drumwork, maybe add a REAL bass line, and, if at all possible, less repetition, and I'll give it a YES.

NO

I agree with the other judges. The square wave and the guitar = teh awesome, but unfortunately, this mix repeats a bit too much for my liking, and the percussion is pretty weak. It could use a bit more bass too.

Not bad though. Some nice ideas going on here, and a good texture. I'm going to say NO, but this one has potential. Try to spruce up the percussion and work on the construction of the song.

GO GO GO NO!