*NO* Star Fox 'Evil Face Destruction'

djpretzel

Nah, better play it safe titlewise:

Title: StarFox_EvilFaceDestruction_OC_ReMix

Game: Star Fox (Super Nintendo)

Track: Venom Highway

Artist: Dj Orange

Heheheheheeheheeee this remix is loooong overdue. I originally assigned myself the task of remixing Venom Highway from Star Fox 1 sometime back in October, with the intent of participating in the OC ReMix Star Fox Ultimate Super Pseudo-Unprecedented Collaboration Project. My apathy (but not mine alone) eventually led to that project's demise (good riddance), but just the other day I picked up the pieces of my original remix and threw them away, to start from scratch.

I have a newfound love interest with the raw, squiggly sound of the TB303. I bet this remix reflects that :)

Anyway, hope you like it, and hopefully this one won't split the judges panel again. Thanks for considering as always djp.

DJ Orange. Damn you. Damn you, sir. Your shit is so damn hard to judge. Because sometimes I can't tell if you're doing some things on purpose. That's not necessarily a bad thing, it just makes sure all your shit is totally crazy and off the hook.

Drum n Bass is a form of art that is widely misunderstood and grossly underappreciated. It is absolute hell to get right. My beef with this tune is that half of it is dead-on, and half of it is very....off.

The sampled laser sounds get real annoying. Real fast.

The beginning percussion sounds like something that would be named "DnBLoop3.wav". I've heard it before. It's been done. The uber-distorted synth at :40 is totally unjustified in the context of the soundscape. The snare sample used is very much tiring, and could have used some DSP luvin.

Therefore, I am forced to designate this song as the NO variety, due to unoriginal and tiring percussion programming (besides some sick cut-ups; too little too late, unfortunately :cry: ), questionable EQ and mastering details, along with rhythms that are far too consistent to fit in with the random DnB nature of the tune. This song could use a redrafting, maybe a slight rethinking to achieve a more direct, focused sound that better serves your formidable programming abilities.

I'll catch you on the final draft-side.

-D

Covered by the other judges. I think the intro is also too drawn out, you have a low pad and some uninteresting electronica kick drum going on and on. I think that section would have worked better without the drum. Then the transition to the second section at :40 is very jarring and disjointed.

Sounds like a WIP at this stage.

NO