*NO* Chrono Cross 'Destine'

Palpable

AmR - Destine.mp3 (pop-up)

SUBMISSION Info:

Game: Chrono Cross

Track title: Life ~ Faraway Promise

Comments: Sequenced in Logic Pro 7. I'm a traditional remixer; meaning I remix for the DJ, and with the DJ in mind. I've paced around submitting this remix for awhile simply because of the source. This is a Trance / Dance geared remix of the Life ~ Faraway Promise track from Chrono Cross.

CONTACT Info:

Remixer Name: AmR

E-mail: rig1015@gmail.com

http://www.soundclick.com/amrus (Artist)

http://www.soundclick.com/rig1015 (OCR)

--

rig1015

--------------------------------------------------------------

The production was decent but it seemed to me like there was a bit of excess in the mids, causing a bit of mud, and a bit of brilliance was missing from the highs. The sounds chosen melded pretty well and went a bit beyond the typical trance, though the lead seemed a little too fake-organic, rather than intended synthetic. What I mean by that, is that it sounded like it was supposed to sound like a real instrument, but poor sample quality held it back.

Arrangement was generally conservative, but had long stretches of chord build ups. The rhythms were altered a bit on these, and there was original writing as well, but i felt that the source happened to fit into something you had already written, rather than the track being written for the source. I think doing more with the specific source would make me more comfortable with the arrangement, and tying it closer into the sections that are just the progression.

no, please resub

Well, I don't really have any critical gripes as far as the production is concerned. My main red flag encompasses one thing: the length. I'm always a little bit pessimistic when people remix songs specifically stating that it's either a trance mix or else anything regarding being "DJ-friendly" etc. Not because I don't like dance/trance tracks--that's far from true. But rather, because by default these tracks tend to clash with our standards. Traditionally, dance/trance have lengthy intros and outros, and lots of grooving, which is obviously why they're so good for remixing and mashing-up with other tracks, especially by a live DJ. Here at OCR, while we don't mind a degree of repetition, our guidelines generally intend that arrangements are kept fairly concise and direct. There's definitely room for a nice groove, so long as the arrangement is noticeably and distinctly moving forward.

Anyway, it took about 1:43 to really get to the first notable melody drop. It's cool to have a lengthy intro, but that's a good chunk of time, probably more than it should be for an OCR. Then, the momentum sort of dies at 2:43. It really felt like the song was ending. And that lasts for almost a good 30 seconds. That could definitely be condensed.

Anyway, I think the track is pretty great otherwise, but you see where I'm going. I think a quick uh, "radio edit" I guess would probably be a good way for a resub to go. Basically, just cut out all the unnecessary parts like the 30 seconds of dead-groove, trim the intro a bit, maybe try to cut it down to 4-5 minutes or so and I think you'd be gold.

Feel free to PM one of us if you can do those things and I'm sure we can fast-track it back to the panel.

Resub

[00:11] * Liontamer is listening to Rig1015 - Destine [] (06:34)

[00:13] <Liontamer> A little cluttered, but not hearing anything particularly wrong with it so far

[00:13] <Liontamer> about 2:15 in

[00:13] <Liontamer> Could use more melodic interpretation

[00:15] <Liontamer> The synth design and gating stuff sounded a bit vanilla

[00:15] <Liontamer> The beats brought in at 3:54 were definitely tame

[00:16] <Liontamer> Soundscape also started getting cluttered, and the string sequencing sounded a bit behind, which wasn't a big deal

[00:16] <Liontamer> Even though there was development with the foreground writing, the backing patterns also became too repetitive

Clean up the soundscape a bit, keep the backing pattern fresh and evolving a little more, and see what other new ideas can be introduced with interpreting the melodic arrangement. Otherwise, I think this isn't far from passing, but needs that additional push of development and polish. Very promising stuff, so far, Aaron. Hope to hear more from you!

NO (resubmit)