*NO* Final Fantasy 9 'iFREYA'

Palpable

Haha, I was getting ready to be like "uhhhh..." at first, because I was half expecting a MIDI rip for the first couple measures, but some additional synths/instruments dropped in shortly and dismissed that notion. The vocals were totally unexpected. Definitely helped put the sequencing in better context when they dropped. Vocals themselves sound nice, recorded and enunciated well, and I sort of liked the cross-panning.

Well, that being said, they're sadly only a short part of this track. Were they permitted some longevity in the track, I think I could have been more forgiving of some of the other aspects. All in all, a lot of the instrumentation sounded a little flat. The piano wasn't particularly captivating, sounded pretty dry and lo-fi. The drums sound like they're being played in a tin can, and way too spacious. They need less reverb and more control on the individual hits and more EQ. Take the open hat for example, it's way too loud. The synths were pretty dry as well.

Overall, the track has a pretty lo-fi, dirty, gritty, not-quite-hip-hop feel to it. Again, would have been better I think if the vocals lasted longer than they did. Pretty cool submission, I hope to hear more from Jetta in the future, I think there's some potential here. As for this track, it incorporates a unique approach, but ultimately suffers from some issues that I only assume are because the remixer might be fairly new to producing.

NO

i agree with Jimmy on the production crits, and arrangementwise, it really does need the vocals throughout to break up the super repetition.

I suggest taking the production crits and sprucing up the backing track, and then recording a few more verses. I think that'd put this a lot closer to where it needs to be. :-)

no, please resub

Agreed, the rigid timing made more sense once other elements came in, but I still think the instrumentation, particularly the piano, sounded pretty poor quality. There was no reason to encode the file so low at 96kbps either.

The vocals were decent, but were too quiet. Other than that, the instrumental side of the arrangement dragged on quickly due to the repetition. Trim some fat off or introduce more dynamic contrast with some changeups.

The little new writing brought in on top of the source at 3:09 was interesting. Too bad that wasn't brought in earlier

BGC pretty much offered the crits I would have said, so let's see some more work on this one and see where you can take it.

NO