===========

Name of game arranged

Final Fantasy 6

Name of individual song(s) arranged

Searching for Friends

Link to the original soundtrack

is a youtube link alright?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGwrbXGq7Tc

Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc.

I have been considering making some music for OCremix for quite a while but never found a song that I wanted to remix. I checked the remix page for searching for friends, and was pretty dissapointed by the songs there, so I elected to remix it myself. I wanted to retain the sad yet spaced out feel to the song, so I used a crisp oldschool hiphop break, and spacey saws arranged in guitar-solo like melodies, with soothing pads flooding the mix. I also fleshed out some of the more epic parts of the song, as evidenced in the breaks, and reinstrumented it, adding several new harmonies and counter melodies to add to the diversity of the track. Overall I went for a crisp and bassy mix with a recessed, yet lush mid range. Enjoy it!

--------------------------------------------------------------

This isn't the most unique mix, but all the parts were clicking for me. The drums and bass provide an insistent backbeat for the piano and leads. Great sounds chosen, sort of an old-school OCR sound, and the synths have a lot of natural expression. The additions to the songs added a lot while not overpowering the original melody. My only criticism was in the reuse of sections, but I didn't think that was enough to say NO to this. Excellent work, I'd like to hear more.

YES

• 2 weeks later...

For as much as I am not feeling those canned beats (the beat is fine, but it repeats a bit too much), I am adoring that gliding synth lead. Absolutely beautiful, with some great original writing in the B section. New harmonies and counterpoints are nice, and the arrangement is expressive and expansive enough.

Production was good; balanced but full, and the transitions worked out well. Things felt personalized, and though I miss the super bass slides present in the original, this will definitely do.

yes

I also dig the lead, and I also get real bored with the loop. The loop sounds fine, it's aesthetically fine, but you definitely repeat it too much. Please chop it up and mix it up a bit more. I love the arrangement, but frankly the loop is a dealbreaker.

Please chop up the loop and give us some different beats.

NO (resub)

Not bad, not bad. The additions to the first half of the melody and different modifications to the second half are pretty good. Arrangement could have been more adventurous, but this is interpretive enough. Production is clean, and I like the synth choices. More drum variation would definitely have been nice, but the mix switches between sections enough that I didn't think it was a major problem.

COOL

• 7 months later...
I also dig the lead, and I also get real bored with the loop. The loop sounds fine, it's aesthetically fine, but you definitely repeat it too much. Please chop it up and mix it up a bit more. I love the arrangement, but frankly the loop is a dealbreaker.

Please chop up the loop and give us some different beats.

Yeah, I'll chime in way after the fact and co-sign with this. I'm REALLY surprised this got so many YESs when this was extremely repetitive, and not dynamic or evolving significantly at all.

The 1:34 cut-and-paste structure of the arrangement (with a quiet synth line being the only major addition) was really boring & disappointing, only to be retread AGAIN at 3:32.

The drum loop got tired and should have been changed up within the course of the track.

What's here was a decently fleshed out WIP with a good starting take on the source, but it's not nearly developed enough.

NO (resubmit)