*NO* Legend of Zelda 'Hardcore Sax with the Gorons'

djpretzel

Sorry, I didnt put in a hyperlink. Here it goes again

Song Title- Hardcore Sax with the Gorons

Game- Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Year- 2004

Remixer- Koelsch1

A heavily rewritten jazz renditon of the Goron cave music. Along with several easter eggs from other various games. A sad take on the inapropriately happy orrigional music. What do the Gorons have to be happy about? They are ugly, they live in a cave, and they eat rocks. And what kind of name is Darmi for an epic here?

This is so lifeless.

The sax sounds very mechanical. Vary up your velocities once in a while.

The drums are the same 1-bar loop over and over again, and they seem to stress count 1 all the time, which is a no-no in most forms of jazz.

As for the arrangement, it's a bit repetitive and it doesn't really go anywhere. No highs, no lows, no nothing. Boring. While I can hear the source tune in this, it's not all that prevalent, and I wouldn't be able to tell you that this is a Goron mix upon the first 50 listens.

Balance between the insturments is off too. Sax is too quiet, guitar is too loud.

Here's a tip about jazz: it has to sound live. That means that the drummer won't play the same thing over and over again for three minutes. The saxophonist won't play every single note at the same volume. You will hear the arrangement build and release; you'll hear varying degrees of intensity in the same song.

If you're writing 'jazz,' you need to capture that.

This piece does not capture that.

NO

I congratulate you for what you're going for, however execution is very lacking. It's way too mechanical. Sax is possibly the hardest to sequence and sound good. This is an example of why.

Mix this up a bit more compositionally and this could go places. Right now it just feels too repetitive for the genre.

Keep at it, very promising work that should be explored more.

NO