Someone Keeps Moving My Yoshi (Yoshi's Story)

Kooper909

Hey everyone.

I have a remix that I'm working on. The version I'm posting here is more or less complete. I've only had one remix posted to OCR and it was critically panned, so I really want to make this one all it can be.

Here's the concept: The Yoshi's Story theme, in the style of "Someone Keeps Moving My Chair" by They Might Be Giants. (hear the TMBG song

.)

Here's what I've got so far: Click here to listen to Yoshi's_Story_Someone_Keeps_Moving_My_Yoshi.mp3

(updated 11-24-2010)

Update:

I originally posted here looking mainly for comments on the production/mastering. I think I've got that more or less where I want it. So please offer any feedback you have. Thanks.

I'll take all the feedback you've got. If you don't think it's worth submitting to OCR, I want to hear that too. Thanks, everyone!

Definitely sounds like "Movin' My Chair". I especially enjoyed 1:10. The first minute or so though seems a little thin, and I think the rhythm synth layer (sorry if I don't know or use proper terminology hope I come across clear) is drowning out most of what you have so you consider adjusting some volume levels, and I feel your are lacking some part equivalent to the vocals in the TMBG. After the first minute it starts to polish up pretty well I think. Good luck to ya.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

ah, thank you for the accommodation! this mix is pretty cool, I like the general idea and vibe you've got going here, but seriously the electric guitar sound you're using here is flat-out MIDI

unfortunately I know nothing in the way of good guitar synthesizers, so my best recommendation would be to attempt collaboration with one of ocr's many guitarists!

best of luck to you, I hope that helps

Nice work so far! The style works really well for the source.

I think you should just turn down the tambourine sound a touch, and maybe humanise it a little better - I can hear the higher velocity on each beat, but the sound does start to grate on me after a while!

I really like the Yoshi-choir sound you've got there, but I'm not sure you should bring it in so early. Maybe save it for the final chorus as a sort of climax to the song? The arrangement you have at the moment doesn't feel too dynamic, and as has been said earlier, it's a little short. You could definitely get away with a bit more original stuff in there (after the first chorus maybe) - the "bridge" is really cool though - but after that I'd expect it to really end on a high. Octave higher maybe? Or change the melody a little to make it more ending-like? No need for a fade-out then.

Production wise, apart from the tambourine, I don't have much of an issue with it, so nice job on that. Keep working on it!