Female Vocalists

atmuh

There's also these clowns: Flickerfall

Our sound is pretty comparable to some of the artists listed in your last.fm, atmuh, so you might like it if you haven't checked out our music before.

I'll also add that Imogen Heap and Bjork are two of my all-time favs.

self-promotion, eeeeh? my turn! (yes, there are vocal songs there)

You and Amy are awesome though, congrats on the music :)

Also, Björk rules.

I'm personally a fan of Kate Bush - numerous popular artists have covered or emulated her songs, or state her as an influence.

Ok, I've been listening to Hounds of Love lately and I have to second this. Amazing stuff. Makes me feel like I should stop trying to make music, cause it's never gonna be as good as this album.

OK, noticed Lacuna Coil mentioned, and Feist as well...

However, nobody mentioned:

Nico Vega

Flyleaf

The Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Alanis Morisette(I know she's kinda cliche, but she does have SOME good music)

Avril Lavigne

Evanescence (they're not together anymore, but Amy Lee is an impressive vocalist)

and Lily Allen (I'm so gay, get over it!!!)

Also, if you're not opposed to listening to Classic Rock, there are:

Heart

Cyndi Lauper

Blondie

Pat Benatar

If I really wanted to dedicate myself to it, I could probably think of more...but I'm too tired and weary, not to mention at work right now to care.

Conjure One has music written by a guy, but all the vocals are guest female vocalists. At least, it was so for the first album. I haven't listened to anything but the self-titled 'Conjure One' album. Definitely can recommend that album.

------

Controller.Controller was a groovy band. Put out two albums then broke up when the singer decided to pursue her career outside of music. They put together some good music while it lasted.

------

Dragonette. Love their first album. They have a second one out now that I haven't had a chance to pick up yet.

------

Metric, Broken Social Scene, and Feist have been mentioned already, but I don't think anyone has pointed out Emily Haines's solo material.

------

Oooh, boy! Time for LIGHTS! Probably my favourite artist on this list.

LIGHTS - Saviour

LIGHTS - February Air

Also, check her YouTube channel for the ongoing Audio Quest animated comic book thingy.

------

Chances are, if you like piano in your music, you'll like Sarah Slean.

Sarah Slean - Sweet Ones

------

Whew, yeah, that's my list of favourite female singers/songwriters, excluding jpop/jrock. And interestingly enough, all of the above are Canadian.