Famicom Disk System Startup

Gollgagh

That's a strange rule. It's still the music for a video game system...

Is Windows a video game system? More games for it than anything else... since Linux runs on my PS3, does that make any linux system sound suddenly VGM?

I write the startup sound for the Virtual Boy, and nothing but that... I'm a video game composer, now?

Let's say we were an anime remix site... it'd be the same as allowing mixes of DVD player sounds, or company logo themes, as opposed to music used IN the actual anime.

Quite simply, VGM - as we define it, and I think it's pretty intuitive - is music written for a video game. A video game system is not a video game, nor is an OS-level configuration menu, browser, avatar creation screen, company logo (Sayyy-gaaaa) etc.

Think about it some more.

Now, someone wants to incorporate this theme as a brief cameo in a mix of an actual FDS game, that'd certainly be cool (and appropriate)...

With the advent of non-game titles on VG platforms (I'm a proud owner of My Japanese Coach :-P), we have to draw a cutoff somewhere, lest we start accepting mixes from any Windows program. Music for an operating system definitely should not count, though if there was a game native to the Wii, like built into the OS, the music IN THAT GAME would be OK. Sure, some programs like edutainment games get fuzzy whether they are a game or not, and we'd handle that case-by-case, but I agree with djp that music on a video game system does not always count as VGM.

• 3 weeks later...