*NO* Sonic & Knuckles 'quadraped'

djpretzel

hmm, quadraped, that doesn't sound fun.

and neither does this mix, really. it develops at a very slow pace and is unfortunately repetitive. it needs some escalation at a pace that can be felt, i should be flowing with the music, not sitting here waiting for the next part to come in.

the abrupt ending doesn't help!

no

Quadra/ped - Four legged.

Quad/raped - Not a real word.

Syllables are the backbone of our language. USE EM.

-------------

I'm the middle of Anna's opinion and Grey's. On the one hand, this is needlessly repetative. I'm of the mind that repetition serves a purpose, but if you go one step beyond that purpose, it becomes boring. The guage for that varies from person to person, of course. But for this person, it's too long without any significant change. Or, put another way, it's too long without being wholly intruiging by itself. And yet, it's a bubbly light happy little thing, and I'm always attracted to that. Like I said before, it needs more variety, but as it stands, there's nothing horrible or glaringly out of place about it. It feels good to the foot, and perhaps that is as good a barometer as any.

YES

on the grounds that in making his next piece, he pays special attention to variety, the spice of music.

We've got some nice rhythmic ideas here, but unfortunately they're overshadowed by a shoddy mixing job and samples that don't seem to adequately cover the necessary frequency ranges.

Firstly, the percussion is nearly piercing throughout the piece, not to mention unrelentingly repetitive - and the accompaniment underneath the "solo" type sections are weak and underdeveloped. Now normally I can deal with a great deal of repetition, I dig trance and all kinds of ethereal electronica, but this is obviously a case of someone running out of ideas. The original has so much more to do than what this arrangement lets on.

Filtering effects and simplistic, repeating chop effects don't cut the mustard in this kitchen. Add some varie-tay and add some more music into this smattering of special effects. Till then -

NO

-D

YES

on the grounds that in making his next piece, he pays special attention to variety, the spice of music.

Let's stick to what we have in front of us and not make any filthy deals regarding future mixes, no matter how much we want to see the mixer reach his potential :wink:

What's here is pleasing to the ear, it's just not quite cooked yet. a song in this style may warrant repetition, but such repetition would require subtle variety that occurs just too slowly in this mix. a song like this needs to build and descend. i feel there's no climax and the ending is too abrupt, leading to an amateurish sound overall.

NO

needs some refinement.

• 4 weeks later...