Berklee Music Online

Obtuse

I'm graduating from Berklee this May, and I think it's an amazing school with great faculty. Since the online courses are so expensive, think hard about whether or not the class you're considering is one you could teach yourself given the right literature. For instance, a pro-tools course would probably be something you could teach yourself pretty easily, whereas for something like mixing you could stand to benefit more from the interaction with qualified faculty.

I don't know anything about their online orchestration class in particular, but I'd say orchestration in general is something where a teacher is extremely beneficial. (I'm assuming here that the class is structured so that you get the teacher's feedback on what you write and isn't just a read-the-textbook-and-answer-the-questions sort of thing like some online classes I've taken.)

Berklee Online is pretty much just as awesome as going to actual Berklee, except well, it's online and you can do it from anywhere. I've thought about taking classes through them, but I was never really sure if I could make the cut, or if there were any pre-requisites to taking courses at the online school.

I actually have questions about it myself, maybe some current students (hint hint), could help out please! ^_^ Primarily I just wanted to know if I had to have a music background just to enroll, or if I could enroll as an absolute beginner to take their theory courses, or their guitar course.

It depends.

If you're a white male guitarist from the US, like me, you need to get your shit straight to get ahead of the rest.

If you're a female eskimo from a rare tribe in Russia and you play accordion, well, you'd get a scholarship. :P

Berklee has a real emphasis on diversity, which is maybe understandable, considering like half the students are male guitarists. (1:5 girl to boy ratio)

Either way, they have beginning theory classes and shit that teach you pretty much from the start. But the more you know already, the better your chances of getting in.

It depends.

If you're a white male guitarist from the US, like me, you need to get your shit straight to get ahead of the rest.

If you're a female eskimo from a rare tribe in Russia and you play accordion, well, you'd get a scholarship. :P

Berklee has a real emphasis on diversity, which is maybe understandable, considering like half the students are male guitarists. (1:5 girl to boy ratio)

Either way, they have beginning theory classes and shit that teach you pretty much from the start. But the more you know already, the better your chances of getting in.

Well, I guess that's out. Back to learning on my own.