Street Fighter - Eagle's theme

CC Ricers

Here's my remix of Eagle's theme from Street Fighter. Yes, the first Street Fighter. This is the only game that had a proper theme for this character, as he's not as well-known. Though he still reappeared in Capcom vs. SNK 2 and in the handheld ports of Street Fighter Alpha 3.

I'm still running a bunch of ideas around with this mix, but have a general feel for the progression already. I look forward to your feedback and requests :-)

stats.png

WIP version 2

WIP version 1.1

Source music

Parts of this are spot-on and sound pretty good, others are a little sparse... I'm thinking maybe too many ideas? When it's just kicks & snares, no hats or other percussive elements, it can sound a bit empty, and I'm not really feeling the four-on-the-floor kick on every beat towards the end. That being said, some of synths are pretty rockin', and I think this definitely has potential. It'd be awesome to have a mix from the first SF here on OCR, keep at it!

Your sound choices are mostly working nicely, and I especially like how you integrated the strings - despite the fact that the sample is pretty weak, I think they work to your advantage. They add a lot of support to the mix.

Some of the crazy synth mangling that you've got going on is great for the purpose of building up the energy, although more of a rising crescendo with your chords in the last section of this WIP might make the section even more effective in leading into the next verse.

The one big gripe I have with this is that your drums are inconsistent and sometimes way too sparse, as djp pointed out. Right from the start I think you need to add some hi-hats or flesh out the snare/kick writing, and I think you could stand to expand/intensify your drumloops in later sections of the song, as well.

This has got lots of potential, keep at it man :-)

the strings at the beginning seem a little thin and don't support the intro as much as they could. you could probably push the low freq's on those up a bit and maybe add some release or stereo spread to help fill out the space. agreeing with the others that the drums are a bit sparse at times and could use a little more punch. try layering in some more percussion, especially during the kick + snare sections.

your synths and sequencing are pretty good. loving the distorted synth section at the end, though i think the drums could afford to be a little harsher and still sit quite nicely.

conservative but good variations on the source. what you've got here needs a little polish, but it's a promising foundation, so keep it up! :D

Yeah, the strings are little thin in the intro, but maybe that helps bring out the following parts. I'm liking that organ though in the intro. I think maybe when that synth jumps in for the first time that its a little overpowering? It just seems to jump right over everything. After that it seems alright though. Maybe just a slight volume tweak would fix that.

I think the outro is actually very unique. That synth that jumps has such a hook to it. I would love to know what what vst that is?

Either way, looking forward to an update!

Thanks for your opinions. Got a new version up today, with some changes based on the suggestions.

DJP, you're right, it does have a bunch of ideas. The focus of the mix will become more concentrated as it nears completion, and my latest version is more cohesive.

I'll keep your suggestion about the strings noted, halc. They're not fixed yet, though. Well, a lot of the update has been re-doing some of the percussion and adding more to the beginning so it doesn't sound so sparse.

jabond23, the synth near the end comes from the FL Sytrus vst, I tweaked the Hydronium preset to get it sounding that way.

A few things I'd like to point out:

- This mix has dubstep influences, and it sorta ties into Eagle's British nationality. All the while keeping the somewhat gothic overtones of the original.

- I had no source midi to work with, so I spent quite a while getting the quick passage at 0:55 to 1:01 just right. So you better damn like this part :-D

- The section from 1:30 to 1:59 will not be in the finished product. I will be replacing that with a longer, calmer section similar to what you hear in the beginning. This'll tie in with the climax that follows.

Those drums are heavy, nicely done on that. Really I'm digging this overall and if its not good enough already, its very very close.

My only complaint worth mentioning is that there doesn't feel like there's enough tension and relief to it; after the song kicks in it kind of feels like its on rails at that point. For example, at around the 3 minute mark (I'm guessing, not looking at exact numbers) where all of the gated trancey synths disappear and there's an almost classical motif going before it gets all crazy and squelchy, there doesn't feel like that much of a drop into it. One reason for this may be a lack of subs, that alone might help but its just an idea, but overal the track sounds fantastic; production values are through the roof.