FL7 and Stutter effects

Alright, I'm working on this remix and it has some pretty nice sounding strings swells. But, since the remix is mostly a chill electronic (I guess?) style, I wanna add some stutter effects to said strings. (The remix is in the remix section of these forums)

Now, I don't want the strings to stutter constantly...cause that'd be retarded. No, I want them to stutter a few times whilst building and dying. But also not so plain as that, either. Say one swell happens and it stutters a bit upon building...but it doesn't when it dies. The next doesn't stutter upon building, but it does as it dies...sort of thing.

Anyways, if you understand wtf I'm talking about and can help or point me in the direction of where I can read up on this, please let me know.

Thanks guys. :D

There are a lot of ways to do stutters. The two best ways would be as follows; you can bounce the audio down to WAV, import it as an audio clip and slice it up, repeating certain slices and making them shorster. Or, you can use the dblue Glitch plugin and program it so the Retrigger effect is soloed, and just make a good pattern with that (or automate the wet/dry mix.)

Andy's mostly covered it. I primarily use either slicing or the glitch plugin, which for the low price of free is definitely an awesome possibility. If you have a couple $$ to spend and want more flexibility, another pretty cool option I've recently been enjoying is Native Instruments "The Finger" plugin. It's kind of like glitch, but with a million more options, and you can actually play in the FX with your keyboard (or piano roll) as opposed to glitch, where the FX is pretty much on all the time and all you can do is automate the wet/dry when you need the effect.

Wow, so many tools for gating? You can't just attach mixers to other mixers, set the auxs in the second mixer and automate the mute in the first mixer (or second, if you wanted the auxs to stay in effect)?

Someday I'll need to move out of my sheltered Reason 3.0 DAW to something a bit more professional, so I'd like to know if that trick is still possible 8-O.

That is true, sorry for the confusion. You can get a nice stutter-ish sound from a gate though, that's why I threw that method in there as well. But Andy's right, stuttering is technically retriggering the same slice of audio very quickly, whereas gating is done to a continual instrument/sound clip. (Good for sustained notes).