Final Fantasy 8 - Across Teh Sky (MOVIN's remix)

bluelighter

Hi Guys !

And this is my mix from Movin’ in its last version! I’ve corrected problems of the version before: better sounds for part metal, ending cleaner… For the structure, I started like the original, I developed and the mix finished by the ending of ff7. I think this melody unites good with the MOVIN’s theme.

Originals:

ff8 movin : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9PcnZKmyxs

ff7 world crisis : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImEL5ZKxuRc

THE LAST VERSION :

http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/bluelighter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5Rwz7fdZyw

Idk why no1 bothered to crit this... =p it's pretty good imo; not sure about the production quality; but composition, wise I like this a lot. I think this track just needs more beefing up and some reverb touches as it sorta feels like it's playiing from inside a box at parts. Love the percussion and rhythm guitar work...oooh choir at 2:10 ish...+1 for that :nicework:

Love the changes of flow and the dynamics all around...the arpreggios in the background are sexy too. I'm thinking that the drums could be a bit tighter at 2:50 - seem a tad off tempo, unless thats the intent. Lovely break down at 3:10 - very beautiful. The return to the heavy parts kinda reminds me of Kefka's theme somehow lol. The rest is golden too.

BTW, next time, host your files on something like tindeck or mediafire - cuz youtube's quality is kinda poop-ish and its hard to tell if the production quality is on par or not.

Alright, that's all for now

Idk why no1 bothered to crit this... =p it's pretty good imo; not sure about the production quality; but composition, wise I like this a lot. I think this track just needs more beefing up and some reverb touches as it sorta feels like it's playiing from inside a box at parts. Love the percussion and rhythm guitar work...oooh choir at 2:10 ish...+1 for that :nicework:

Love the changes of flow and the dynamics all around...the arpreggios in the background are sexy too. I'm thinking that the drums could be a bit tighter at 2:50 - seem a tad off tempo, unless thats the intent. Lovely break down at 3:10 - very beautiful. The return to the heavy parts kinda reminds me of Kefka's theme somehow lol. The rest is golden too.

BTW, next time, host your files on something like tindeck or mediafire - cuz youtube's quality is kinda poop-ish and its hard to tell if the production quality is on par or not.

Alright, that's all for now

Agreed quality is kinda below OC quality

Also sounds more like a Remake than a ReMix...

Thanks very much for your comment HoboKA ! Yeah, I’m proud of the composition on this mix, almost at 2’10 when choirs start.

At 2’50, the tempo is the same, but beats are no more ternary but divided by 4, hence the effect of acceleration.

Agreed quality is kinda below OC quality

I know the production is not still perfect. Is it only some points I have to correct, or is it globally?

I agree that the metal part needs to be beefed up, I work on that.

Also sounds more like a Remake than a ReMix...

Maybe at the beginning, but I think after the intro, it’s a real arrangement.

Thanks for your comments! Don’t hesitate if you have other ideas, I really want to hear this mix, finished !

Ok ! For the last version I've worked to correct sounds of the drums part (I think it was the problem), and to have a better balance metal/orchestra.

I think the result's better ! :smile:

Maybe, I've to work on a better transition after the soft part (I've just see that!). But after, I think the mix'll be ready.

What do you think about this ?

Links :

DELETED

Thank you for feedbacks !!!

The arrangement ain't too bad, but I really don't think you can meet OCR's quality bar using the guitar samples that you've got currently. I'd highly recommend finding a guitar player to do this live for you if you're serious about submitting to OCR.

Also, the volume disparity between the first 2/3rds of the mix and the last part in regards to the orchestra is really too large. I'm listening on crappy speakers so I can't say for certain exactly how bad it is, but to suddenly have the orchestra reach peak volume for 30 seconds after being super-quiet for the rest of the song is really jarring. IMO, bringing the rest of the song up to the volume of the last part would be the best path of action to take, but experiment with your volumes so you get something more dynamic.

You've got potential here, but when you're writing significant guitar parts, you're gonna have to find someone to help you out if you want to make it sound convincing because your MIDI guitar samples don't do the arrangement justice.

Very thanks Emunator for your comment and for your precision!

Also, the volume disparity between the first 2/3rds of the mix and the last part in regards to the orchestra is really too large.

I know, after the soft part (3’00), I’ve to change the transition. I’m thinking about a crescendo of orchestra just before the next part (3’30). So I would have a better continuity in the orchestra’s part. But I can’t increase the volume; else I’ll lose the spirit “soft” of this part.

The arrangement ain't too bad, but I really don't think you can meet OCR's quality bar using the guitar samples that you've got currently.
I'd highly recommend finding a guitar player to do this live for you if you're serious about submitting to OCR.

For the guitar, I’m afraid that some parts are not workable by a real player, in particular for the arpeggios. But yes, I think would the result would be better. I could introduce some effects I don’t manage to do with my software. I’ll see with a guitarist if it’s possible.

A very long time I’ve started this mix, and I’m really impatient to see the result. Tanks a lot for your critic!!

• 9 months later...

Hi Guys!

Here is the new version of Movin’s Remix. When I’ve posted the first time, I had some critic on the quality of drum part.

So, I’ve tried to correct this and other points.

And the last here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5Rwz7fdZyw

I wonder if the production is now correct. Any feedback is welcome!

Thanks!

Is it possible for you to find a better host for this other than youtube (like tindeck or soundcloud)?

I'm really liking the arrangement, but I can't give an accurate critique of the production when it's on youtube, too much compression and all that.

Maybe it's because I don't have an account on it, but I couldn't see anything on your reverbnation page either

• 3 years later...

A new version is ready:

http://www.reverbnation.com/bluelighter

http://soundcloud.com/bluelighter0085/ff8-blinded-in-sideral-light-movin-remix

Better samples and real instruments for guitar and violin part. I find the result really better :)

I really thanks to Ilp0 and Chris ~ Amaterasu who collaborated with me !

Enjoy!

Edited by bluelighter