*NO* Astyanax 'Journey to Remlia'

djpretzel

Artists: DCT & GrayLightning

Title: Journey to Remlia

Game: Astyanax

Song: Remlia

DCT's Website: http://www.thebigshot.com

DCT: This is an orchestral/new age remix of the Remlia theme from Astyanax.

Not too many people have even heard of this game but the music was really cool, especially the piece I chose to remix. I had originally written a less primitive version of this song, when the super-talented GrayLightning told me he loved what I had done so far and offered to utilize his mad orchestration skillz and make it sound fuller and more realistic. So I thank him for offering to collaborate with me and I hope you enjoy our song. ^_^

GrayLightning: I fell in love with this when I heard DCT's version of this and knew I had to be involved somehow. DCT sent me the midi file of this which contained pretty much the entire framework, and style of the mix. He did most of the actual arrangement. I made a few arrangement changes by changing the rhythm and tempo at the ending sections. I added some more orchestration, instrumentation and the drums/percussion. I then did the production, mixing and mastering. DCT deserves more credit than I. DCT made the cake, I made the icing so to speak. ^_^ I'm very happy to have worked on this mix with DCT. Hope you all enjoy.

Heres my issue with this song (after much thought):

From roughly 22 seconds to 3 minutes, this song is virtually note for note with the original remlia track. The difference between the two tracks (aside from the orchestral percussion) is the strings in the back.

I know its supposed to be new-agy, but frankly I've heard good newagy and bad newagy. These strings are just off key half the time.

It would be acceptable if the rest of the remix wasn't so note-for-note.

The end starts to build and then completely dies out and the song ends. Very weak. I expect a much better ending for such a song.

NO

I don't have the familiarity with the original that Prot does, but i'll back him up.

Despite a few good samples like the brass and strings, most of this sounds pretty bland. It's confusing what direction the tune is trying to take, and the blatant overuse of crash cymbals in certain sections hurts my sound holes.

It's a pretty solid tune, but doesn't seem to excel in any particular way. Tastes like......wasted potential.

NO

-D

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also overly familiar with the source material, and frankly Prot nailed it about following the source tune too closely. Well done genre adaptations are great, but if overhauling the original melody isn't in the cards, what about at least trying to vary up the material by working some original material at the 2-minute mark, right before the chorus? The last minute was excellent, save for the low strings at 3:59 which killed the flow at the end. The ending's gonna need something more to make it satisfying as well.

I'd like to hear some more energy involved with this as the mix progresses toward the big finish for the last section; it doesn't have to be over-the-top, but until 2:52 there was no real movement or build. Luckily, I know DCT's more than capable of coming through with ideas that could hook this one up. Keep at it, bro. You & Gray are onto something with this.

NO

a bit bland. many of gray's mixes dance on the line between ambient and undeveloped. there's just nothing strong about this mix, nothing pops out at me. everything about the mix is fairly consistent thoroughout, and while i know gray often goes for subtlety in his songs, this is a little too melodic, too musical to get away with its lack of dynamics and different ideas.

NO