*NO* Castlevania 'gothlektro'

djpretzel

The arrangement isnt bad, it's perhaps a bit simple, could benefit from a few extra layers of harmony, a few extra tensions.

the problem is that the instruments sound NES-quality, and there's nothing spectacular about the mix to make me look past that fact. bump up the sound quality.

NO

OK. First off, I do really enjoy this mix. It's very.......GothLektro. There are ways to do a chiptune, and ways to screw up a chiptune. This track is halfway between chiptune and drumloop addition. That said, it does sound good. It would fit in in some crazy bondage club or something. It's got a raw energy that many musicians forget to try and capture.

Unfortunatly, the guidelines kill this one for me, and for good reason. While the drumloop additions are well done and appropriate, and the breakdowns are phat and precise, I can't look past the fact that most of this is a straight transcription of the original. If there was some kind of melodic improv, or at least some subtle harmonic alterations, i'd consider it an arrangement and not a cut & paste. There is an obvious attempt to utilize atonal, timbral improvisation, most notably in sections like 2:14. Nice work there, but it's still just different icing on the same old cake.

Put some more originality in the presentation of the notes and chord structure you're initially working with, and i'm quite sure you'll be able to pull it out. The retro sound scheme is working for me.

If you'd like to hear a pseudo-chiptune done right, check out Shael Riley's Technomancy. It's not done with the GBA chip, but it's a great example of how to keep it interesting even with low-fi sound sets.

NO

-D

Lets close this out, shall we?

I fail to find the 'raw energy' Danny B mentions. This piece felt rather drab to me. The super old-school sounds weren't bad, but they sounded rather dry. Percussion didn't really do much to build any kind of momentum or tension either; while the patterns changed, the basic feel remained thougout. Pretty boring if you ask me.

NO