Untitled [FFIX Loss of Me]

DragnBreth

Two remixes on the go at one time... a good thing? I dunno.

I started this partly just to play around with some of the instruments in the soundfonts I use, partly to test the Delay FX which had been suggested for use in my "Ride of the Hero" remix, and now sort of a break from the aforementioned remix so I don't go crazy focusing on a single thing.

Anyway, it is by no means complete, so any suggestions or comments on that front would be most helpful.

Enjoy.

217-v1-DragnBreth-Untitled.jpg

I like where this is going, especially the piano part! I'm a real sucker for piano with delay, so that's definitely a plus in my book. =D

It's still a bit too short to really comment on it, but still, I like the instruments you chose. I personally wouldn't have chosen the organ for this piece (just because it feels a bit too sinister for this particular song), but that's just what I would do, I don't mean to say it sounds bad or anything.

Just a few suggestions, though:

- Add some percussion, at least a cymbal or a gong when one part finishes and another one starts (you're probably planning on doing that, just a reminder).

- You could make sure the piano doesn't get too repetitive by adding some grace notes or by playing octaves - the current mix repeats the same pattern three times, and while it is pleasant to hear, it would be better to make it less repetitive.

- At the beginning (the organ part), adjust the volumes a little bit, sometimes the melody is a bit quiet compared to other organ notes.

That's about it for now. I think you did a wonderful job, it sounds very good considering you're only using soundfonts (I think I know exactly which, I think I used the same ones before I got some better samples XD ).

Keep at it and it'll get better and better, you'll see. =)

Thanks, Archangel. I'm liking the delayed piano too. Sounds pretty neat, and mixes well with the strings and bell.

Ha, yeah, I'll probably alter the beginning. I think the organ (plus the fact that its in a minor key) kinda makes it almost like a funeral bit, or something, which kinda contradicts the piano/strings part of it.

Suggestions noted and appreciated. Already working on changing up the melody a bit so its not so repetative.

Yeah, using 'tgsf21x' for the organ and piano, the default font for the higher strings, Squidfont Orchestral for the c-bass, and some tublar bell font. They were all free, so... yeah, lol. :)

Unfortunately... I'm stuck :(. I like the first part of the tune just fine, but I'm having trouble working in the second part.

Needs to be mixed cleaner, bells and piano are fighting over the same space, strings kind'a too. EQ is the tool I recommend for this, give them each a boost and two cuts (all being subtle) so they each have their own area. Piano seems to be the centerpiece here, so make sure it sounds the cleanest. The piano sounds pretty raw, btw, you could give it a soft eq and humanize the velocities. The delayed signal of the piano could be softer or more filtered to distinguish it more from the dry piano.

Nice start.

I definitely like where you're going with this, it's definitely got some great potential. I actually didn't mind the organ, it gave it a sort of "in my time of darkness" feel, which was how I always associated this point in Beatrix's/Steiner's story emotionally. Maybe back down the volume of the organ a little bit, I guess, to avoid it being too sinister-y like Archangel commented.

I do agree with Rozovian, though - there definitely seems to be a bit of a fight between the bells and the piano.

You might also consider bringing the strings out more, separating them better from the piano.

I love what you've done with it so far. I'll be watching for updates to see where you take it! :-)