*NO* Pokémon Blue Version 'The Mighty Mighty Pokémon'

Liontamer

New version:

OCRemix Song Submission:

Links:

Song name: The Mighty Mighty Pokemon

This song is part of the Missingno Tracks project, so please hold off on posting if accepted until that project comes out.

Contact Information:

Your ReMixer name – Level 99

Your real name - Stephen Bortz

Your email address – level99remixteam@gmail.com

Your website –

Your userid – 13318

Submission Information

Name of game(s) arranged – Pokemon Blue/Red (GB)

Name of individual song(s) arranged – Title

Composer: Junichi Masuda

The OST is already on the site.

Comments on the song:

Sooner or later, I’ll make a public letter of apology for how much text I make you all read when receiving a remix of mine. All part of the job, ain’t it? I write it, you gotta read it. Okay, here we go:

About three years ago, I stumbled onto/was invited to join/begged and pleaded to be on the Missingno Tracks project. I really enjoyed the title music of the Pokemon gameboy game, and that tune has always been present in other songs in the Pokemon series. It’s cheerful, upbeat, and telling of the adventure about to unfold.

This one’s done in a style somewhat reminiscent of The Mighty Mighty Bosstones. Ska and Swing music are big favs of mine, though I did want to incorporate that alternative rock element that the Bosstones used so well. This went through a number of versions over the years, as I came and went through activity in the remixing community. Computer crashes, new software, lots of critiquing, and a whole bunch of other shit kept this thing from getting finalized. Thankfully, The Damned never lost hope or left me out in the cold. This latest version is still writing very close to my first version of it, but was completely redone from the ground up with my latest DAW setup. I’m fairly certain this is the first time I ever really dug into Addictive Drums to discover all the different presents, bundled beats, and features, so I tried out a lot of different combinations of beats and fills to get the multi-genre-influenced sound of Ska Punk drumming.

The arrangement, while a little liberal in that it adds a new third section to the song, is still close enough to the source that I believe it should pass the OCR source usage requirements. There are times when the main melody is not played, but the basic chord structure is still there. It was impossible to keep that same lead line in there constantly without it getting boring or overplayed, so it rests a few times and comes back to reinforce the song. The song itself starts off with one iteration of the source through a slower rock-ish style, and then comes back to really kick off about 1/3 through the song. The most important thing about making Ska versions of remixes doing this song is that it is nearly impossible to get convincing brass in there outside of live brass players (an issue which will hopefully be remedied and easily seen once the Kirby Super Star remix I’m working on wraps up with live brass).

Enjoy, and keep on skanin’.

~Stevo

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you've played Smash Bros., you of course know this theme like the back of your hand. That'll help Vig with his Pokémon aversion. :lol:

I wasn't feeling the tone of the drums here, and the brass brought in at 1:16 sounded awful. Thank God it wasn't any more exposed than it was, because they were so gimped, they dragged down the track every moment they were in play.

The mixing wasn't where it needed to be. IMO, give the guitar lead more presence and/or more high frequencies, instead of giving all the volume to the drums, which exposes them. And please replace those awful brass sounds with something stronger and more expressive.

Arrangement-wise, this was pretty solid, so just improve the mixing & production to fully realize the potential here.

NO (resubmit)

It has different and better drum tone for sure, a lot of different balancing changes.

vote-edit:

compared to the first the drums are punchier and slightly better mixed, rhythm and lead guitars are further forward and more balanced, and the brass is brought down.

Overall I dig it, good tone and playing, the brass is bleh but only fills out the back end, and it's not prevalent at all, so i'd call that a wash. The drums are well programmed, but i think the rhythm guitars might be a touch too beefy, and are out beefing-them. It doesn't kill the track, and some judges might even prefer it this way, i dunno; there are some great drum patterns, i'd want them to shine even more. Everything is audible at the very least. Everything worked well for me except the tempo change transition seemed a little sloppy.

Not flawless, but it has heart, like a wee psyduck against all odds, and it's above the bar.

yes

I like the arrangement, though it doesn't sound that much like the Bosstones to me. :? This is a lot more reverbed and airy than their stuff. I guess the use of brass and metal guitar is the tie. The melody is pretty intact, but the backing is creative, and I love some of the new chiming guitar parts.

The low-end of this is pretty crowded, makes a lot of the instrumentation hard to hear. The rhythm guitars and lead take up too much of the space, and the drums end up getting the short end of that stick. The brass is more felt than heard, I can't really tell what notes are playing sometimes. I dunno, Stevo, it's a close one, but I think this needs some work. Seems like some more EQ would be prudent here, and maybe taking off some of that reverb too. The second version is a step in the right direction, but even more should be done. Give it another shot, dude!

NO (resubmit)

I think the arrangement side of things are fine. The solos are handled pretty well, and overall it's recognizable and expanded upon. The tempo change is a tad awkward, but it's still pretty fine as is.

I'm going to agree with the production aspect of things. Right now the low end is super-filled, to the point where it's tough to make out what's going on. The drums aren't really holding the power they should, possibly because they have so much to compete with. I'm not a fan of the brass samples (although I tend to be overly harsh on brass overall, so take that with a grain of salt).

I know you an take it that step further, Stevo. Work your magic! NO (resubmit)

• 3 weeks later...

On the mixing end you need a lot more presence to the rhythm guitars. The lead is actually a bit loud. Drums could use more pop. I think the main issue is that the lead is too hot; you really need more room for the supporting elements. The performance is a bit spotty at times so it's not a great idea to have it so far out front anyway.

NO

Oh and Larry's here. He's still a NO.