Sonic 2 - Robotnik's Theme [Metulz... sorta]

DragnBreth

Okay, right off the bat I want to say that I'm not looking for mixing/mastering/sample quality feedback for this. Why? Cause its a MIDI.

Now before you all stone me, let me explain.

I can't play guitar worth beans. I cannot purchase Shreddage for I am paying for college via my income working as a courtesy clerk.

I can, however work on my composition skills. And what better way to do that then through MIDI, ne? Specifically via TuxGuitar.

See, eventually I'd like to be able to turn one of my metal MIDIs into an actual song, whether through a collaboration (which is probably the best option, atm) or through my own l33t guitar skillz... :P.

So, I would really appreciate some feedback as to composition before I go and request a collab.

On to the remix!

Robotnik's Metal Ambush MIDI

Robotnik's Metal Ambush Tab

PS The Tab file is in *.tg format. TuxGuitar doesn't save as anything other tab format.

Version 2

---------------

- Extended to 3:14 (from the original 2:00)

- Within the extension:

\ Varied up the rhythm guitar section

| A bit of a breakdown with original symphonic elements

| Another run-through of the original melody

/ Changed the ending

• 2 weeks later...

My fast impression is this: it's a bit too close to the source at the parts where the melody exists, while the transitions you've written are pretty nice. I'd work on trying to add a stronger countermelody to the main melody to try to differentiate the song a bit - there seems to be an attempt to do so w/ the strings here and there, but you can flourish it even more I think. Hope this helps.

My fast impression is this: it's a bit too close to the source at the parts where the melody exists, while the transitions you've written are pretty nice. I'd work on trying to add a stronger countermelody to the main melody to try to differentiate the song a bit - there seems to be an attempt to do so w/ the strings here and there, but you can flourish it even more I think. Hope this helps.

Yes, this is the kind of feedback I was hoping for :D

Thank you. :D

Yeah, i think this would be pretty cool as a metal track. I think the composition is very well done. :D

:D Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Stay away from the punk-style, 8th notes triggering the same note over and over, if you ask me. If you must sustain a single tone that long, try varying the rhythm a little. A sixteeth note here, maybe some triplets there.. it's not hard.

It also sounds good if your drums follow the rhythm guitar. Another way I might consider the issue is, I wouldn't just smack the snare drum at the same rate for two bars.. I'd add variation. Rhythm instrumentation isn't much different.

Stay away from the punk-style, 8th notes triggering the same note over and over, if you ask me. If you must sustain a single tone that long, try varying the rhythm a little. A sixteeth note here, maybe some triplets there.. it's not hard.

... I think it sounds good... I do listen to a lot of power metal, and this type of thing is done all the time. However, I do see your point, and if I ever get around to collabing with someone on this and eventually subing, I will incorporate the suggestion.

It also sounds good if your drums follow the rhythm guitar. Another way I might consider the issue is, I wouldn't just smack the snare drum at the same rate for two bars.. I'd add variation. Rhythm instrumentation isn't much different.

*nods* Okay. :)

So... basically, moral of the story here; what works for power metal may not work for OCR, lol. Your advice is appreciated, SLyGeN. Thanks. :D

Well I just meant the slower ones, which sounded like 8th notes to me. The faster tremolos, I agree, are reminiscent of power metal and may as well stay (although some bands will add note variation on the last beat).

I think OCR is cool with power metal. It's when you get into death and black metal that things are gonna get frowned upon. Which is too bad, because I live and breathe that shit.

Well I just meant the slower ones, which sounded like 8th notes to me.

Are you refering to the part starting at around 1:59?

(although some bands will add note variation on the last beat).

I was actually thinking about that yesterday at work. And yeah, I'll probably go in sometime and vary it up.

I think OCR is cool with power metal. It's when you get into death and black metal that things are gonna get frowned upon. Which is too bad, because I live and breathe that shit.

I can sort of understand the reasons behind it. Black and Death both tend to be more rhythm oriented with little reliance on melody (although this is not strictly the case, and I do not listen to much of either, so you would probably know more than me). Now if one were to attempt a Melodic Death Metal or Symphonic Black Metal styling... maybe, just maybe. "The Shining Blue Armour Decends" got through, so... yeah.

I meant the part at 0:13. The incessant repetition and the fact that rhythm is just two notes a major 2nd apart make it feel very punk. This goes on until about 0:42.

That's nearly half a minute of just "E, D, repeat". If you want a power metal sound, add more variation based on enharmonic chord tones of the melody.

Black metal does rely on relatively basic melody, and really doesn't have a whole hell of a lot of rhythmic variation either. I like it because almost all of it is Phrygian.

I meant the part at 0:13. The incessant repetition and the fact that rhythm is just two notes a major 2nd apart make it feel very punk. This goes on until about 0:42.

That's nearly half a minute of just "E, D, repeat". If you want a power metal sound, add more variation based on enharmonic chord tones of the melody.

Black metal does rely on relatively basic melody, and really doesn't have a whole hell of a lot of rhythmic variation either. I like it because almost all of it is Phrygian.

Okay. :) Thanks Sly. I'll take that under consideration (although truthfully all I've done there is follow the chord progression [in power chords, of course] of the original tune... its seriously just Am G Am G all the way through... except the beginning... then its Am Em... *shrug*). I like the way it sounds though, so what I think I may do is have the strings or the harpsicord playing something over top of it before the main melody kicks in. And vary up the rhythm a bit... or try at least...

Aaaaand... I'ma have to consult my music theory books before I can even take your advice about enharmonic chord tones and such... so... yeah....

Again, thanks. :D

Really cool interpretation of the song, I like it. And this Robotnik's theme rocks.

IMO, you should just change a little the rhythm guitars between 2:01 and 2:36, they sound repetitive. At this moment, the song seems to lose "power". The first part sounds very great and this part isn't as good as the beginning of the song. I'm sure you can change them to make it rock. Everything else sounds kinda good to me.

Keep at it, man, it's great. (Oh and if you need some drums, just ask me ^^)