Chrono Trigger Unofficial Soundtrack

Zarradeth

Hello everyone-

As you can guess from the title, I'm interested in putting together a complete remixed soundtrack for Chrono Trigger, but this project would be a little special. Over the past couple weeks I have been working on a program that, with the use of ZSNES and a computer running Windows, allows you to play Chrono Trigger with a replacement soundtrack (in MP3, Flac, etc. format). I wanted to see if there is any interest in making a custom soundtrack that could be released alongside the program.

A bit about what would be needed-

Chrono Trigger has 83 music tracks. Of those tracks 1 is silence, 58 are actual music, and 24 are sound effects. So, as you can imagine, there is a lot of work to do in order to remix the whole soundtrack. Also, since this music will be used in-game, it would need to be catered to that- such as looping nicely, or quick fade outs without silence at the end of songs so the player isn't left wondering why music isn't playing. I also have interest in redoing the sound effect tracks (these range from wind noises to fanfares), but I understand that redoing these would be a bit less interesting that remixing the music. The most important thing is that the feel of the remixed tracks match the feel of the original tracks- otherwise the feel of the game would be ruined while using the remixed soundtrack.

Due to the large amount of tracks in Chrono Trigger, and how large this project would be otherwise, I would be more than willing to accept tracks that are already on OCRemix (or other remix sites), as long as they are submitted by/with the permission of the original author. Or even pre-existing tracks with small tweaks to make them sound better as in-game music, such as removing intros and silences at the end of the tracks. To be honest I would probably take an approach like this in order to put together a custom soundtrack- but some of Chrono Trigger's music tracks have, sadly, seen no love from remixers.

But, again, for the most part I'm currently trying to gauge interest in such a project and see if it would be possible to accomplish this. I understand that the amount of work needed for such a project is large, and if not enough people are interested- it would be extremely difficult to accomplish. If you have any questions feel free to ask- I am more than willing to answer, you can PM me or just reply to this thread. Opinions and thoughts are welcome and appreciated too. :-)

Update:

Since there doesn't seem to be enough interest to get anything done anytime soon (but I am happy that there was interest), I have released CTM. The release thread can be found at romhacking. I am still interested in this project, and would be willing to do it and possibly distribute it with CTM. But obviously a side by side release is no longer possible. I am also hoping that I can drum up more interest with an actual release. If you goto the romhacking thread you can download the program and try it for yourself. See what it would be like to have your remixes playing in game ;P

If you're willing to push this project through--I got a Chrono Trigger track that me and a bandmate of mine used in couple of shows (funny thing is people don't know they're CT tunes. . .and I don't think they care anyways. . .) We did the theme of Schala--that's about tho. . .BUT we have some of CT work tapes somewhere (tunes that didn't make it. . .we lacked ideas to finish vg mixes at times) Lemme know if you want to check it out. And I guess I could look back at those worktapes and see if I could think of something now.

If you're willing to push this project through--I got a Chrono Trigger track that me and a bandmate of mine used in couple of shows (funny thing is people don't know they're CT tunes. . .and I don't think they care anyways. . .) We did the theme of Schala--that's about tho. . .BUT we have some of CT work tapes somewhere (tunes that didn't make it. . .we lacked ideas to finish vg mixes at times) Lemme know if you want to check it out. And I guess I could look back at those worktapes and see if I could think of something now.

I am definitely willing to push the project to get it done. It's just that if there isn't enough interest and people wanting to contribute, no amount of pushing will get it completed. ;-)

I'm in too.I just downloaded the Chrono Trigger OST in rsn format, and there is 92 tracks (with effect stuff).I'm very interested in this project I have some real favorites in the soundtrack.I also have many friends with many instruments so we could make remixes in many styles.First I gonna make Gato's Song and post it when I finish it.

I'm in too.I just downloaded the Chrono Trigger OST in rsn format, and there is 92 tracks (with effect stuff).I'm very interested in this project I have some real favorites in the soundtrack.I also have many friends with many instruments so we could make remixes in many styles.First I gonna make Gato's Song and post it when I finish it.

Was the 92 a typo, or is that how many tracks you got? I can assure you that Chrono Trigger (the SNES version at least) only has 83 tracks (one of which is silence). Here's a list in the correct order (using hexadecimal values for the track numbers). And by the way, this list, I believe, uses the Japanese names, so some of them might be slightly different from what you expect.

[SIZE=2]Song Number - Song Name
00 - Silence
01 - Memories of Green
02 - Wind Scene
03 - Corridors of Time
04 - Rhythm of Wind, Sky, and Earth
05 - Ruined World
06 - Guardia Millenial Fair
07 - Far Off Promise
08 - Secret of the Forest
09 - Zeal Palace
0A - Remains of Factory
0B - Ayla's Theme
0C - Courage and Pride
0D - Lavos' Theme
0E - Robo's Theme
0F - Morning Sunlight
10 - Manoria Cathedral
11 - Sounds of the Ocean
12 - Leene's Bell
13 - Wings that Cross Time
14 - Schala's Theme
15 - Delightful Spekkio
16 - A Shot of Crisis
17 - Kingdom Trial
18 - Chrono Trigger
19 - Blackbird Interior
1A - Blackbird Exterior
1B - Fanfare 1
1C - Fanfare 2
1D - At the Bottom of the Night
1E - Peaceful Day
1F - A Strange Happening
20 - Dungeon dripping noise
21 - Running Water
22 - Wind
23 - The Hidden Truth
24 - A Prayer to the Road that Leads
25 - Huh?
26 - The Day the World Revived
27 - Robo Gang Johnny
28 - Battle with Magus
29 - Boss Battle 1
2A - Frog's Theme
2B - Goodnight
2C - Bike Chase
2D - People who Threw Away the Will to Live
2E - Mystery of the Past
2F - Underground Sewer
30 - Presentiment
31 - Undersea Palace
32 - Last Battle
33 - Lab 16's Ruins
34 - Inside the Shell
35 - Quake
36 - Burn! Bobonga!
37 - Wormhole
38 - Primitive Mountain
39 - World Revolution
3A - Lavos Scream
3B - Sealed Door
3C - Silent Light
3D - Fanfare 3
3E - The Brink of Time
3F - To Far Away Times
40 - Confusing Melody
41 - Hail Magus
42 - Gonzales' Song
43 - Underground River, Rain
44 - Black Dream
45 - Battle 1
46 - Tyran Castle
47 - Tsunami
48 - Magus' Castle
49 - First Festival of Stars
4A - The Destruction of Zeal
4B - Ocean Tide
4C - Lavos' Breath
4D - Epilogue - To Good Friends
4E - Boss Battle 2
4F - Fanfare 4
50 - Determination
51 - Battle 2
52 - Singing Mountain[/SIZE]

I might be interested in participating, CT had a pretty cool soundtrack which would be fun to remix a track from :D

Any particular genres you're looking for? The main genres I produce are trance, hip hop, and hardstyle, though I can also make some breakbeat and drum & bass stuff too.

Well, the genres that would be needed are pretty wide since the music has to match the feel of the original soundtrack. For example a hardstyle song would probably work to replace the Bike Chase track. It all depends on how it feels in-game. For example if we were to replace Schala's Theme, which is a kind of slower/softer song and really fits her as being a caring person, etc. with some kinda hardcore techno track.. that wouldn't go over to well. ;-)

Edit: Here's an example video I quickly threw together (hence why it's so unprofessional) to show what I mean.

And I'm not saying one remix is better than the other, just that one matches the style of the original closer than the other- which isn't necessarily a good or bad thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Due to the fact that I don't think there was enough interest to possibly get anything released soon, I have gone ahead and released CTM- hopefully this can drum up some more interest. I have also updated the first post. If you follow the link in the first post you can get more information on CTM as a program, along with a video and download link.

As I said in the first post, I would still be willing to do this project, especially if having the program actually out in the wild drums up more interest, but a side by side release is obviously impossible now.