djpretzel

Contact info:

"Mark_Li"

Alex Lavigne

markli@hkbo.net

http://opera.redeemedsoft.com

ReMix info:

-Games mixed: Final Fantasy X & Chrono Trigger

-Song names: Mt. Gagazet from FFX, and just a general melody found in Chrono Trigger, in a few songs I think.

This is my first mix ever, and quite possibly my first completed song ever. I am slowly teaching myself to use Fruityloops (though its been quick, so people tell me) and I'm helped by the fact that I have always had a good ear...learned to play piano by ear, etc. Anyway, this came to me out of my desire to get something on OCRemix, and I couldn't think of a song I wanted to do more than Gagazet. The original is absolutely beautiful. The Chrono Trigger melody sort of crept in while I was working on it, so I decided to devote a few phrases to it. Overall, I'm pleased, but am open to critiques because god knows I don't know everything about this stuff yet...far from it.

I'm (kinda) in the process of remixing this song, so i'm quite familiar with the original

The instrumentation and most of the notation is exactly the same as the origina in the first 2 minutes. at 2 min some interesting percussion comes in, but the rest is still the same as the original.

the strings dont sound good enough to be a solo instrument so much. neither does the piano in the second half.

NO

This needs serious arrangement. the original sounded fantastic, and this is a downgrade in both instrument quality and harmonic texture. it really needs arrangement.

http://www.tzone.org/~llin/psf/packs2/FFX_psf2.rar - "People of the Far North"

A little while back I heard an nearly complete WIP of one of bLiNd's remixes for Project Majestic Mix Trance, "White Skies," and that got me very familiar with the source material. Checking the "People of the Far North" PSF, this is the same tempo and the instrumentation is practically the same.

Verbatim = lame, and the additions here weren't much. Some of them were off-key with the melody.

I stopped it at 3:14. I'm not gonna bother. I don't even care what the second half is.

NO OVERRIDE

http://www.tzone.org/~llin/psf/packs2/FFX_psf2.rar - "People of the Far North"

A little while back I heard an nearly complete WIP of one of bLiNd's remixes for Project Majestic Mix Trance, "White Skies," and that got me very familiar with the source material. Checking the "People of the Far North" PSF, this is the same tempo and the instrumentation is practically the same.

Verbatim = lame, and the additions here weren't much. Some of them were off-key with the melody.

I stopped it at 3:14. I'm not gonna bother. I don't even care what the second half is.

NO OVERRIDE

If you're going to NO OVERRIDE you probably should listen to the whole song. the first minute is more or less a rip, and the rest is nothing to call home about, but by far most of the actual arrangement happens after the 3 minute mark.

lets not be to hasty.

Please don't use N.O. without listening to the whole song, as well as having a very good reason. Lots of songs on this site start out verbatim and then go into arrangement. As far as I"m concerned, there are many instances where this sort of activity should be accepted. I probably wouldn't pass such a song, but I"m just saying.

I wasn't getting hasty. Nonetheless, pardon me. [/listens to entire song] So 4:32 of a 7:11-long track is the original melody, tempo and instrumentation, verbatim, with a lil' sumthin'-sumthin' extra on top, like bongos. Looks like a submissions violation to me, and not hard to call either, especially given the reconsideration of Kaijin's mix which has exactly the same issue. Like I said, NO OVERRIDE.