*NO* Sanitarium 'The Mansion'

Palpable

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty similar to the original but with some dance beats and synths. The treatment definitely removes some of the original menace that the source song had, but it makes it easier to dance to, so that's a trade off you'll have to accept. The piano is a little more rigidly timed, but the tone is better than the source, and there is more nuance to the velocities, which helps a lot.

Arrangement wise, besides the beats and synths, there isn't much differing from the original, which is a bit disappointing, because the atmosphere was what really sold the original, and with the untz added, a lot of that is downplayed.

Production is decent but not problematic, though I have to say it ends up sounding pretty generic by the end of the track. Nothing really sticks out,

I think it's close on everything, but I think it needs a little more polish and interest to be memorable. Mainly doing something to get that malevolent feel of the original back would help, because as of right now, it's too bland. Sorry. :-(

No, please resubmit

Not much that I can add to Andrew's vote here. This one sticks really close melodically to the original, and the only real difference is the dance beats/synths. There's a lot of room for expansion into some sort of original section, which would hep vary things up. Also, there's a lot of rigidity in the entire piece, which kind of drags it down, especially in the opening. It feels almost opposite of a "dance" track at times. I'd like to hear things a little more fluid all around.

OA mentions that he wants more menace, and I think it stems from the treatment of the bassline. Definitely a trade-off, although I don't mind the lack of menace as much as him. Maybe adding in some nice low tones can bring some more of that feeling back though.

I think the biggest problem right now is how close this is to the source, but the rigid feel is another issue that needs to be addressed. Please take some time to work out these parts, and I'd like to hear it again.

NO (resubmit)

An extremely generic, straightforward genre-adaptation. Piano sounds plinky and bright for such a seemingly dark track. Percussion is pretty repetitive throughout; there needs to be some more variation; fills, builds, releases, those kinds of things. You have this oddly layered percussion bit come in around 2:52 that's just jarring and out of place (and it shows up again later, just as jarring).

I like the gated synth running throughout; it adds to the tension. Unfortunately it's not enough to keep things interesting for 6 minutes. This piece is fairly static in terms of mood; not a lot of highs and lows. We just get a long intro and then the piece plateaus until the end. Needs more build and release.

Not a bad texture; the bass could be beefier and the percussion could be doing something more interesting, but the atmosphere isn't bad.

Still, needs some work.

NO