Palpable

Your ReMixer name - Calazael

Your real name - Thomas Edge

Your email address - thomasedge@gmail.com

Your userid - 1567

Game arranged - Sonic the Hedgehog 2

Song arranged - Chemical Plant Zone

Name of remix - substance_factory_renovation

It's just one of my favorite VG songs of all time, I love the technical aspect of the original, with its mechanical feel and counterpoint melodies/harmonies.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Interesting buildup, but the first synth and the drums brought in at :36 were underwhelming. Texturally, there wasn't much going on to start.

I liked the fidelity changeup at 1:25-1:29 in principle, though it was just strange the way it was used.

The arrangement had aspects here and there that were more interpretive, particularly 1:57-on. That 5-note synth countermelody first used at 2:03 was run into the ground by 3:00, so I'm glad it ended soon afterward.

You have to get the textures fleshed out some more, and make the structure more developed and cohesive. Right now, there's little flow to this piece.

NO

I'll second that the drums are increidbly underwhelming. The kettle drums are fine, and maybe even a little too strong in some spots, but the snare is super limp and in some cases, you can hardly hear it. The sequencing is also super mechanical, and though that ties into the theme of the song, it needs to be both mechanical and musical. It's close, but a little too strong on the former.

The SFX throughout worked really good, but otherwise the track was pretty sparse. I think having some stronger drumkit use would help there, as well a more prominent bass part. The kettle drum would work for an intro and maybe breakdown, but not the duration of the song. There are some bass synths that come in later, but the first half was a little barren.

There are some cool ideas here, and the concept is sound, but this needs a good deal of additional polish.

No

There isn't much I can add that Larry and Andrew haven't already said. Drums need some work to really bring up the excitement. I'm mostly disappointed in the treatment of the melody. Even if it's supposed to be rigid, it's just way too stiff for me. Something to loosen the track up would help a lot, even if it's a section where you really let loose.

I was impressed with the sound effects, which I normally dislike in tracks. They are employed very well, and really add some atmosphere. Andrew mentions that the lack of bass at the beginning makes the textures a little sparse, I'm going to have to agree with him. Having more of a bass presence will help fill things out.

This is a good start, but needs some work to really bring things out. NO