*NO* Escape from the Planet of the Robot Monsters '(no title given)'

djpretzel

Admittedly, I had trouble tracking down the actual source tune to this, as I couldn't connect any of the SID or MOD tracks I heard to this track, so someone else may have to check that out. Videogame Orchestra has a lot more remixes at their site that are genuine mixes, so I suppose I have to take their word on this, though I'm hoping this isn't just an electronic cover-style mix. I believe that it is though from seeing their website's list of "remakes" and listening to the structure, but this could be a better straight arrangement track with some remastering.

This one was a lot stronger than the rest of the material on their site, which are essentially all remakes, only a lot sparser-sounding. I'm sure some of the sound choices here will bother others, since there are plenty of shrill ones to be found. It didn't bother me too badly, but it was certainly a negative. A small way to add a bit more creative activity would be by using the SID sounds more as beats when they're under the melody. This was some quirky, enjoyable electronic stuff with a decent groove that primarily suffers from a lack of sound balance, IMO. The melody didn't sound strong in a proverbial vacuum and didn't have enough presence over the SIDtune effects or synth-percussion work, while the bassline was pretty good but obscured as well. The SID stuff dropped down at 2:17, but was then too low to add any depth to the rest of the music. 2:01 uses another iteration of the melody except with a slightly different balance of the sounds, so I felt there could have been a measure more development considering there were only 3 minutes to the whole thing. Cool work with a lot of interesting sounds, a serviceable groove and genuine energy, but not there yet.

NO

• 2 weeks later...

Cool site. Mind titling your mixes?

Very, VERY SIDish, as many C64 remixes seem to be. The high pitched instruments are not so ear-piercing to me, but the sharpness did startle me. In fact, I really like the crunchiness they provide. I have no problem with the mixing, obviously done for stylistic purposes, but I have a strong suspicion that this is a cover of the original tune. My vote will ignore that for now.

This nameless mix gets a NO for such poor support and development. Though there is a strong melody present, it's left to dry coupled with an undeveloped progression and supporting parts like repetitive accompaniment and lazy synthlines. Start listening from one point then skip to another; the patterning will sound almost exactly the same.

I may change my vote if/when I hear the original.

PROVIDE OBSCURE SOURCE MATERIAL IN YOUR SUBMISSION EMAIL