*NO* Sonic the Hedgehog 3 'Minton's Battery'

Palpable

Greetings OCRemix

I love you guys, been an enjoyer of the many mixes available for ample years now, I finally thought I'd submit my own. I've done my best to follow the instructions on your site, if I have made any mistakes, please let me know and I'll correct them.

I know you prefer to audition one at a time so here's my first - a jazz remix of the flying battery zone. I have some more to submit if this one has fallen short for some reason. A few Command and Conquer remixes and some more Sonic related stuff.

Get in touch if I can help in any way, and I hope you enjoy the music. Thank you once again for the awesome work you do!

Link to song: www.myspace.com/xijmusic - song name: Minton's Battery

Contact Information

Your ReMixer name: Xij

Your real name: Jack Oughton

Your email address: jackoughton@googlemail.com

Your website: is broken

Your userid (number, not name) on our forums, found by viewing your forum profile: n/a

e.g. djpretzel (http://www.ocremix.org/forums/member.php?u=1) has the userid of "1"

Submission Information

Name of game(s) arranged: Sonic The Hedgehog 3

Name of individual song(s) arranged: Flying Battery Zone

Additional information about game including composer, system, etc. (if it has not yet been added to the site)

Link to the original soundtrack (if it is not one of the sound archives already available on the site)

Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc.: The first of two arrangements I did of the Flying Battery theme. It was a lot longer and had a massive trumpet solo in the middle, but it sounded like crap so I got rid of it. I'd like to submit the other mixes when you review this one.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

• 2 weeks later...

Alright first things first, there is WAY too much reverb on this. Everything is getting drowned in reverb.

Second, the balance between the instruments is terrible. I think there's some flute or synth in the background, but it's all really hard to hear over that square sounding ride pattern; seriously, there's no swing to it at all, it's just a boring straight eighths pattern.

Phrases are also thrown haphazardly around; nothing seems to lock together. Jazz isn't about people playing whatever the hell they want; there needs to be a degree of cohesiveness. This is just loose to the point where it sounds sloppy.

I'm at a loss as far as the ending is concerned. This weird unbalanced whoosh comes out of nowhere, and it sounds like a completely separate song starts playing, only to fade out again.

Bad production, messy arrangement. Needs work.

NO

I have to say this is one of the wierder jazz songs I have heard submitted to the site. I can't say I'm really feeling it at all throughout. The intro was nice and quiet, but the chords felt pretty far away from the original, and the only thing that made me know this was Sonic was the melody. I'd have liked a firmer connection in the source chords, even if they are altered from the original. There were some kind of neat arrangement ideas, but not enough for me to be feeling it.

I have no idea what that whoosh thing was at the end, but it really has nothing to do with what's going on. It's gotta go.

There is a huge amount of reverb over everything here. Everything feels very distant because of it. Also, the drum playing feels very amateurish. The ride cymbal is the biggest offender; there needs to be more swing on it. Also, a lot of the samples aren't feeling very humanized. The bass might be ok, but it's impossible to tell with all of the reverb.

Sorry, this one just isn't working for me. NO

I think this was covered pretty well by the first 2 votes. Source is strangely arranged in a way that doesn't feel cohesive or even recognizable in some parts.

Part of the issue is the ridiculous reverb, which is covering everything and then some. About 10% of this amount of reverb is needed, if that.

The whoosh and other song, I don't even know. I recommend hitting up the WIP thread and getting some tips.

No