Walan Reviews (new webseries!) - Sonic Live! #1

Murmeli Walan

Most people don't know this, but in my scant free time, I am a videographer. Mostly, I work with local pro wrestling companies filming live shows and producing DVDs, but I also do freelance weddings, local commercials, and music videos. Anyway, I've always wanted to try my hand at making an internet review type series ever since I was introduced to the Angry Video Game Nerd, and I was finally hit with the inspiration recently to pick up my camera and make a video.

Allow me to present to the community the pilot episode of Walan Reviews, in which I tackle one of the most notorious Sonic the Hedgehog comic books ever published, Sonic Live! #1.

http://blip.tv/file/3977876

My free time will be very sparse in the coming months, so I may not be able to pick this up again anytime soon, but I would love any kind of feedback or criticism. I hope you guys enjoy!

I would love any kind of feedback or criticism. I hope you guys enjoy!

Please don't take offense to the criticism, as it is really intended to help you improve this show.

First and foremost, you've really captured that storyteller vibe with the ol' chair and the whole setting. Very nice.

Your elocution and the overall sound quality was pretty good.

That's a departure from all these internet reviewers mumbling incomprehensible stuff through their laptop microphone.

The show in itself was informative and entertaining, but a bit on the long side. Try to condensate a little if possible.

You got a nice thing going on here, but you tend on instances to have some jokes and lines dragging longer than necessary.

It really breaks the whole flow, and considering it's already pretty long, that doesn't help.

Just re-watch yourself and try noticing these moments to find a way to improve on that for the next episode.

Additionally, a more dynamic video editing could help maintain the attention of the viewer.

You gotta be aware that with such a long format, things can quickly turn into a boring generic late-nite talkshow.

And I'm pretty sure that putting people to sleep isn't your first intention. ;D

Also it's worth a mention that the AVGN influence here is quite identifiable.

While the reference isn't a bad thing in itself, the sooner you'll start adding your own flavor/personality, the better.

Apart from that, keep it up man.

It's only the first episode. Which means you can only improve from there on. ;)

Please don't take offense to the criticism, as it is really intended to help you improve this show.

Oh, I'm not offended at all. This is the exact kind of stuff I'm looking for.

First and foremost, you've really captured that storyteller vibe with the ol' chair and the whole setting. Very nice.

Your elocution and the overall sound quality was pretty good.

That's a departure from all these internet reviewers mumbling incomprehensible stuff through their laptop microphone.

Thank you. My friends have always called me the storyteller type, and I usually do my best to avoid mumbling and stuttering, though I can see a few spots where I pause for too long before my next thought comes up. A 4channer called my speech as "Walken-esque".

The show in itself was informative and entertaining, but a bit on the long side. Try to condensate a little if possible.

You got a nice thing going on here, but you tend on instances to have some jokes and lines dragging longer than necessary.

It really breaks the whole flow, and considering it's already pretty long, that doesn't help.

Just re-watch yourself and try noticing these moments to find a way to improve on that for the next episode.

That's the general consensus I got when I posted this on 4chan's /co/ board last night. I was surprised when every response I got was thought out and constructive instead of "lol u fag u suck".

Additionally, a more dynamic video editing could help maintain the attention of the viewer.

You gotta be aware that with such a long format, things can quickly turn into a boring generic late-nite talkshow.

And I'm pretty sure that putting people to sleep isn't your first intention. ;D

Also it's worth a mention that the AVGN influence here is quite identifiable.

While the reference isn't a bad thing in itself, the sooner you'll start adding your own flavor/personality, the better.

It's actually more of an influence of the style of Linkara and his show Atop The Fourth Wall on ThatGuyWithTheGlasses.com, but future episodes are breaking away from that style as I try to develop my own voice. It'll probably be a very long while before I review another comic book again because all I ever read was Sonic. I eventually want to move on to reviewing bad NES rom hacks and homebrew games, a niche that I haven't seen covered yet.

Apart from that, keep it up man.

It's only the first episode. Which means you can only improve from there on. ;)

Thanks so much. While I'm mostly gonna keep future episodes shorter, I've also been given tips on improving lighting so I don't look like (as one 4channer said) a creepy rapist. I've got plenty of ideas for the future, so I really hope I can pick this up again very soon.

Oh god, I cannot unsee that Photoshopped cover.

walanreviewssoniclive-3.jpg