Ocarina of Time- (Gerudo Valley Dance Mix)

DMaster

Well, my "Snake (Man) in the Grass" project file became corrupted, so I have to find the back-up disc... Anyways, I'm doing some stuff on the side. This mix is NOT going to be submitted to OCR. (Sorry, I'd never hear the end of it otherwise.) It's Ocarina of Time's Gerudo Valley in a Club/Dance style. Very basic, done in Fl Studio 8. If you have any feedback, I'm more than glad to hear what you have to say.

Here's the Link:

http://www.box.net/shared/ykygxfjpip

Ouch, that intro guitar is terrible. :P Doesn't get better in the middle, but by now I'm expecting it to be terrible and now it's "only" bad. Some drastic velocity edits should help, how much depends on how the instruments responds to velocity. Outro is... weird. The instrumentation is otherwise okay. Nothing really interesting and exciting, but nothing terrible.

As for the mixing, the bass is way too loud for a balanced mix and even with the bass down to sane levels the overall volume is too high and it's screwing with the compression. Your lead comping synth could use some bass reduction, it's muddying up the sound a bit. Bass drum could use more mids/highs - not sure since much is lost by the compression, dunno how it'd sound without it.

It can't be finished. Seriously. Not with these mixing problems. For a non-ocr mix it's pretty cool (too conservative for the site, but you know that already) - if you'd get the levels under control. Also, I wanna know why you think those levels were good. :P

Damn Rozo! Let the kid live. Musically, this sounds suspiciously like another gerudo valley WIP that's very recent, so watch yourself DMaster :-P I guess since Rozo said it straight, I should too- The whole mix is way to bass heavy. It's clipping sooooo bad that I could barely get through it. You simply must have heard how weird it sounded overall when you mixed it down. The over-compression is killing almost every aspect of this track, and whether or not you intend to submit it, it's not a good sound. You're composition is alright, but that clipping buzzing sound wont leave me alone, and I literally can't hear anything clearly over the over- comp'd kick/bass. I'm sorry, but this needs to be completely re-worked as far as production goes. The composition aspect is cool, but as I said before, it's been covered like this recently, and this very similar rendition (which I believe is an FL Studio production) pleases me not. Even if you have to drop the over-all track volume, this mix must not clip. The power of Christ compels you! Do not clip! Seriously though, you have a good start. but you need to fix the aforementioned things. Good luck :-)