Your real name: Brandon E. Strader

Your email address: oinkness@gmail.com

Your website: http://brandon.rainwound.com/

Your userid: 3123

Name of game(s) arranged: Sonic the Hedgehog

Name of individual song(s) arranged: Staff Credits, Special Stage, Drowning

Name of remix: A Hog In His Prime

This is a PROJECT TRACK -- Sonic, Sound of Speed

Hi! This is one of the first remixes I made after returning to the community in August 2009. I saw that the track was open on the Sonic project so I asked halc if I could try it. I hadn't really written electronica up to that point, and they were looking for electronic music with guitar in it. As a result, this song was very experimental for me, and I wrote it a part at a time, fleshing out each different source used in the Staff Credits. Trying to find a way to incorporate guitar, but also have a strong electronic sound in there. I still don't know a lot about electronic music, but I'd say this is something like trance-rock... I don't know. Anyway, I hope you all enjoy it.

Probably my two favorite things about this remix are the 3xOsc I created in FL Studio that has a ridiculously strong vibrato the longer you hold down the note, and the 'Special Stage' R&B breakdown that I just added for fun as a bit of a bridge between parts.

Thank you very much!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Staff Credits,

Those rhythm guitars are taking up some much room in the soundfield, it's near impossible to hear anything else, dude. You'll want to bring them way back. Once they are gone, it's easier to hear things, but the section immediately afterward has no anchor. It gets a little better, but still things are really unevenly balanced. Sometimes the synths are too loud, sometimes, the guitars are, or sometimes nothing is taking charge, and there are 4 parts vying for space, some of which don;t even sound like they belong in the same song. The source itself is a medley, so this specific medley worked ok for me, but the production aspects of most of this drag it down into resub territory.

Some of the transitions are really cool, like the one 2/3 through, and the ending was really nice; i liked the flute and vocals quite a bit. The guitar playing was solid, and the leads sounded really good. It was all just balance and mixing issues.

No, please resubmit

Overall the balance definitely feels like it's all over the place. For example, at 3:27 (which happened to be the new section that came up) the lead synth is tough to hear, where before when it was playing a more background role it was fine. The first thing I'd ask you to do is to really listen to what needs to be more forefront and what should be pulled back. I can hear some use of panning, but try to keep stuff that is melody more centered, and let some other things be on the sides (you did that for some things, like the wiggly saw synth, just could tighten up the consistency).

I like how you opened the track and led into the first melody, I felt like this was the most solid part of the arrangement. After that honestly I feel a little lost with everything shifting so much. It's cool to do the style and time shifts you're doing, but some of them are a bit too sudden and because of that feel random. If you could make the transitions a little more fluid I think that would help the track feel more cohesive.

This isn't an easy track to arrange, and I think you've got a start here, but it needs some work in both production and arrangement. NO (resubmit)

• 2 weeks later...

Holy wall of sound, Batman. This really needs a rebalance. You've got synths really loud and in your face, guitars really loud and in your face, another synth really loud and in your face, and the drums, which are just really repetitive and lo-fi samples. Synths are really buzzy and generic sounding.

Not sure how I feel about the medley approach here; I realize that that's what the ending credits are, but the transitions here are all abrupt and come out of nowhere. I think the track would have been better served if you focused on one or two themes.

The Springyard Zone section is really nice. I'd rather listen to a full version of that.

Needs a lot of work.

NO