Composer/Arranger needed for Seiken Densetsu 3, Sacrifice II

FunkyEntropy

I'm looking for a composer/arranger with a real love for 20th century music to take the percussion-based

from Seiken Densetsu 3 and set it to brass quintet. Both the composer/trumpet player in my quintet and I feel strongly that there is an amazing, kick-ass brass quintet piece locked away within the original but we're at a loss as to how to go about uncovering it.

What I think might work:

• Assigned pitch, using the different instruments to simulate different percussive instrument
  • Half-valving for additional timbre variance
  • Mutes, with and without half-valving to create more colors

So yeah, if you've got some serious modern composition chops and would like to give this a try, let me know.

Thanks,

FE

I like the idea. Can't write for rl orchestral instruments, but if this gets done, make sure I get to hear it. The source is a special track, and a treatment like the one you describe would be awesome.

If you want it on the album, and if they're done about the same time (as in, not holding the project back / not holding your own release back), I'd gladly include it. The source was iirc recently claimed, but double coverage isn't a problem for me. I'm unfortunately away from my project notes so I can't check atm.

edit: Yes, track was claimed already. Still not a problem to have another take on it on the album. if you're interested in that.

Thanks for the interest! My intent was for this to just be a stand-alone piece, but the notion of it being part of an album did have some appeal. However, I was loathe to clutter up the project thread with my half-baked idea, especially when I have no idea how long it would take to carry the thing from concept to printed parts to recorded audio.

If things get that far, I'm definitely interested in the final product being a part of the album.

And just to throw this out there, I'm currently working on High Tension Wire for my group. I'm still in the process of writing, so stuff's definitely going to change (I don't even know if it'll work!) but I think the potential is there. The ending (ending? what ending?) in particular will change, as I'm considering linking it to something else from SD3. My composition/arrangement skills are shakey at best, but here goes:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ef2bllili4zi1xy/Seiken%20Densetsu%203%20High%20Tension%20Wire.mp3

When it comes to your High Tension Wire sketch, I'd suggest taking the last iteration of the first part, 1:34, and playing it soft, maybe with just one or two instruments, then repeating it loud to make a bigger statement of it. A repeat of the 2 (4 in the backing) last notes after a longer sustain and with a longer sustain might make a decent ending, as might a final statement of the seven first notes in the first part, followed by a sustain with crescendo and... done. Some rhythmic , chordal, or even modal variations would make it interesting, but as an arrangement/adaptation for a brass group it works fine this conservative too. Just some random thoughts./suggestions

Anyway, keep me informed by pm or something. Whether or not any of this will get done in time for the album / the album be done in time for any of this, I wanna hear how it turns out. All your sd3 works. :D

I'm looking for a composer/arranger with a real love for 20th century music to take the percussion-based
from Seiken Densetsu 3 and set it to brass quintet. Both the composer/trumpet player in my quintet and I feel strongly that there is an amazing, kick-ass brass quintet piece locked away within the original but we're at a loss as to how to go about uncovering it.

What I think might work:

• Assigned pitch, using the different instruments to simulate different percussive instrument
  • Half-valving for additional timbre variance
  • Mutes, with and without half-valving to create more colors

So yeah, if you've got some serious modern composition chops and would like to give this a try, let me know.

Thanks,

FE

Wait, it's 130AM and I want to make this sure I'm reading this right. You have brass players and you need a composer? I'm working on a percussion-only Sacrifice II track for Rozo, but if there's a brass quintet sitting around waiting to play something, I NEED TO KNOW. While I don't have serious 20th century chops, I do like the music and I have a friend at NYU who has written more than a few atonal tunes. His MGS remix was also just posted (Alexander Bornstein - Solid Snake's Cigarette Break)... Once I lay down the percussion I doubt Alex would turn down the opportunity to write for some brass players, if he has the time. Rozo, what do you think?

The more, the messier... I mean merrier. :D

After a couple of collab fails, I prefer to not have to rely on others to complete my stuff, and I think that's a healthy attitude. However, if it works, it'd be awesome. Pwnsome, even. It's worth a shot, as long as there's always the option to go back to separate tracks.

Why wouldn't I want something like this on the project?

Well, some directors don't want to wait on live players... especially when they take six months and don't deliver. I have had a few collaborations fail myself, so I definitely understand where your concerns are coming from. But if the brass collaboration falls through, we still have the finished percussion version of the track... which is what you wanted anyway. So I'll be finishing up my end first before we attempt to get into any collaboration stuff.