*NO* Super Mario Bros. 1, 2 & 3 'Mario Montage of Funk'

Liontamer

ReMixer name: wblackall

Email: wblackall@gmail.com

Site: www.WhitakerBlackall.com

UserID: 36156

Games arranged: Super Mario Bros., 1, 2, and 3 on the NES

Various songs from each game, including overworld themes, underworld themes, star theme, and more.

Here's a blog post I made about the song: http://www.whitakerblackall.com/blog/mario-montage-of-funk-blog/

I spent multiple days working on this and tried to make it as funky as possible, all while connecting each song seamlessly.

----------------------------------------------------------------

A ton of themes

The overall production and instrumentation was pretty solid. Not the most realistic stuff I've heard, but capably executed; you used what you had very well.

That said, "connecting each song seamlessly" did not happen here. I'd totally be down with a medley arrangement like this IF the themes were connected seamlessly, but there were so many jarring, awkward transitions and none of the themes got fully developed. It's a fun listen, but the arrangement wasn't cohesive enough to pass. I would have loved to have heard something twice as long to give the themes more room to be explored and also allow more room for smoother transitions.

NO (resubmit)

Man, when I first opened this up, I was excited by the total funk of it. I think, as Larry said, that the instrumentation is pretty solid, and while some performances feel a little mechanical/awkward, that that aspect is passable. What's getting to me is the lack of development on the themes, and the transitions between songs. This is definite medley-territory, but each song is more an individual cover mashed with other covers. I'll echo Larry again, I'd love to see a track that has less themes, but more development per theme.

NO (resubmit)

Gonna agree here. Fantastic listen but it's way too much of a medley. My favorite part is the SMB2 theme. I'd love to hear a full version of just that.

Montages and medleys are cool in that "hey, remember all these songs?" kind of way, but what we're really looking for is cohesive pieces. If you're gonna use a lot of sources, the transitions have to really be seamless, not just a sudden gearshift to another tune. Every theme here is also arranged in basically the same style, which makes the whole thing sort of a blur.

Would like to hear something more focused.

NO