Need a Teacher for guitar mixes

Mak Eightman

Hi, I'm guitarist of mid skills. I had several attempts on remixing and find out that my sound SUCKS!(well a knew it before)

Anyway I need a teacher, who can teach me how to use all of those cabinets and other stuff witch is free to download. I'm using Guitar FX BOX v2.6(free soft) and I have Amplitube and Amplitube2 and lot's of this kind of stuff, but I don't know how to make real good sound of it(like Sixto or Snappleman or Dr.Manhattan).

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME!!

P.S. I didn't know where to post this thread.. Sorry if I wrong!!Thanks!

Hi, I'm guitarist of mid skills. I had several attempts on remixing and find out that my sound SUCKS!(well a knew it before)

Anyway I need a teacher, who can teach me how to use all of those cabinets and other stuff witch is free to download. I'm using Guitar FX BOX v2.6(free soft) and I have Amplitube and Amplitube2 and lot's of this kind of stuff, but I don't know how to make real good sound of it(like Sixto or Snappleman or Dr.Manhattan).

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME!!

P.S. I didn't know where to post this thread.. Sorry if I wrong!!Thanks!

try guitar rig 4.

You're not going to get anywhere unless you have a good A/D converter. I use a POD X3, which is good for usb recording and amp modeling. Mind you I'm not the best at mixing but this is where my gear gets me

The other way to go is to buy a really good instrument mic and something like an M-audio or Presonus interface.

After that you're going to learn how to mix and use tools like EQ and compression. You should be able to find plenty of online resources to help you with that stuff.

Yeah, i always find the best way to mix guitars into a mix is always do 2 tracks. One panned hard left and one panned hard right. Then a decent amount of compression. EQ it. I usually cut a little of the low end and even a tad all the way up the high end. The bass will fill in the low end and i use the higher ends for the leads.

You need to also take into account that making the guitars stand out is to also take the time properly mixing the rest of the track. Of course compression and EQ are the best bets here. I'm not claiming i'm an expert on the mixing as a whole, but i've been writing/recording my own music for almost 3 years now. I wish i could explain this better, but i've been up over 20 hours now and probably need some sleep....or coffee....i'll finish this later, lol.

Mak, if you've got AIM, hit me up at jabond213.

• 1 month later...

Since you mentioned Snappleman, I'm going to assume you mean hard rock guitar. These concepts apply to everything, but the following will be tailored to hard rock guitar.

OK, first up I'm going to introduce the concept of a "signal chain". That's a fancy way of saying a bunch of effects, one after the other.

First thing in your chain is your guitar, which should be set on a bridge humbucker, with volume and tone at maximum. You can adjust this later if you need to, but chances are you shouldn't.

Second is the impedence transformer. "Well what the hell is that?" I hear you ask. Guitar outputs are high impedence things, and impedence is a concept best left to electrical engineers, but it's important that your gear is impedence matched, otherwise high or low frequencies will get rolled off (depending on the mismatch). An impedence transformer is the thing in a DI box (or an audio interface's instrument input) that takes it from high (guitar) impedence, to low (microphone) impedence. If you're plugging a guitar into the line in or mic in on your interface, stop. You're doing it wrong. Use the Instrument input if you have one, or use a DI box to go into the microphone input.

Next up is the mic preamp. Clean ones are good to have. Solid state is the way to go here - tubes are good for overdrivey guitar amps but you don't really want that type of character here. Set your preamp gain so that your heavy peaks (palm muted chords, probably) don't overdrive the input, and give yourself a little headroom on top of that.

Next up is your A/D converter, which takes your (now line level) signal from analog to digital. Not much we can do about that, except make sure it's working in 24 bit, and probably at 44.1khz (or higher, if you're a high-def snob, but don't bother with 48khz unless your final destination is DVD).

After that, we're in your DAW (digital audio workstation, the software you're using to record). Record your tracks (tightly - timing is very important, so make sure you're ALWAYS precisely in time). I recommend four tracks, panned 100% left, 85% left, 85% right, 100% right.

Now apply your effects chain. You'll want a high gain amp plugin first (take your pick from LePou's stuff, Onqel's X30 or Nick Crow's stuff). Be conservative in the setup - don't stray too far with the EQ. If you're setting the bass and treble on 9 and the mids on 1, you're doing it wrong - don't ever do that. Small steps.

After the amp, you need a cab. Cabs usually come in the form of "Impulse Responses", which is a way to measure the difference a guitar cab and microphone make to your signal. Fantastic piece of technology. You need a plugin to load IRs (LePou's fabulous LeCab does quite well) and later you'll want cab impulse responses (Red Wire or Recabinet), but the one that comes built into LeCab will serve you well for now.

Now, before the amp model, you'll probably want to insert a tube screamer to tighten up the bass response. Don't underestimate the importance of this - it's the difference between flabbiness and tightness in your rhythm playing, and it's easy, so do it. Take your pick from BTE's TSS or TSE's 808. Set the overdrive pretty low and the volume at half, with the tone somewhere between zero and half. Have fun.

It's about now that you realise that good guitar tone requires good bass tone and a good drum sound to support it. That's a post for another day. Good luck.

Thanks everyone!!! sggod89 Your stuff is awesome and I really thinking to by some DigiTech GNX-1(this is the only thing I can buy, I guess). Jabond.. Well I've got nothing to say)I love Your stuff) And I using some of your advices)

Kadmium.. WOW! Thanks a lot!!! I think I spend lot of time before I can understand some of Your's words:mrgreen: But most of them clear to me and THANK You again!! It was kind of lesson!!

Sonic, I have guitar rig 4. And actually now I getting closer to lvl up.

Thank You all guys!!