OCR01275 - *YES* Front Mission 'Infinite Natalie'

djpretzel

This mix is a medley of "Force Stall" and "Natalie" from front mission. Both of these songs were written by Noriko Matsueda and not Yoko Shimomura. "Force Stall" [the song at the beginning and end of this mix] is the reason I started to really get into Matsueda and I have now listened to basically everything she's ever done..... so I'd just like to ask that if the remix happens to make it onto the site it should only say Noriko Matsueda in the original composer section [normally no matter who wrote the actual song being remixed all composers involved in the game are usually listed].

that takes you to a link to the song [on the right is a cool screenshot from the game]

Well, I really like what I'm hearing. This song has many good ideas. The downsides are technical. Some instruments too loud at times. Some instruments too fake at times.

Gonna have to give this many times around.

I can hear lots of skillful orchestration in this song.

Alright, I'm definately going with

YES

This song has a lot of detail in it. No repetition. Lots of skill. Technial issues are minor. I'd like to hear less quantization next time.

Very cool!

• 3 weeks later...

Excellent orchestration and your use of counterpoint and harmony shows a great deal of maturity. Those wondering why I keep harping on about form in some of my other comments would do well to listen to this mix- there are a limited number of musical ideas here and each is fully developed to give the piece a very satisfying and "complete" feel.

Great all the way through and the section from 4:15 to the end in particular is very well done, in my opinion. Fantastic work.

YES

This was a difficult mix to judge. I felt the material was handled well, but the arrangement was very subtle, it is there and it is definitely not conservative enough to reject. But there were a lot of intricate additions here where several listens were needed in order to appreciate. The orchestration is well done all around. I agree with Israfel, this certainly is not cliche. However I still enjoy the bombastic hollywood fare once in a while.

Honestly this isn't something I'd personally listen to often. It sounds very backgroundish anime film type music that fits a scene, but is neither melodic to attract attention to, nor for me, absorbing in an atmospheric sort of way. It is technically very nice and passable though, so it's a YES

http://www.snesmusic.org/spcsets/fm.rsn - "Force Stall" (fm-09.spc) & "Natalie" (fm-35.spc)

Some of the wind notes in the mid-range get really shrill from 3:42 onward. Gotta tone 'em down. Raising the high-end would have allowed your strings to stand out more, as well.

Given how slow the tempo is here, this mix took a LONG time to get a grasp on. I had a very difficult time reconciling this with our standards, as it sounds great, but initially came across to me as a slowed-down sample-upgrade piece combining two tracks rather than a notable rearrangement.

This would be great on a professional Front Mission arrange album, because the orchestration was pretty solid and I liked the understated support additions and various subtle embellishments I heard. The melody and some of the support were directly taken from "Force Stall" while "Natalie" remains by the numbers as well which frankly made this a bit suspect. But I'm willing to admit I was wrong in feeling there wasn't enough expansion in other areas within this more straightforward arrangement piece.

In terms of attempting to expand the source material while staying within the same genre, this manages to give expansion to the original via the additional layers of harmonization and instrumentation involved. There's certainly a lot going on here to accentuate the melodies that the original tracks lacked. Not the most overt method of making a ReMix, and again, I wish this wouldn't have stayed so fixed on the structure of the original, but there is indeed a lot of nuanced expansion that in sum-total makes things passable...barely.

YES (borderline)