Radical Dreamers

IntoTheSky

I threw this together today...I'm doing vocals and drums. The guitar is a midi file I found online, the lyrics are from some guy on youtube.

I'm really looking for criticism on my vocals...been trying to get better but have a way to go yet.

http://www.supload.com/listen?s=1p5FuZ

There's a bit of silence at the beginning I forgot to take off, so wait a few seconds.

EDIT: Apparently I clicked 'mod review', instead of work in progress, but I'm just looking for general feedback.

You can edit the mod review thing by click on edit then on go advanced.

Rhythm feels a bit awkward in the beginning, and I have no idea why you're thinking the volume balance makes sense. Why are the drums so quiet? Why is the guitar so loud? Why are you singing off-key when you're just trying to sing softly? :P

You could add a piano, perhaps a reverse piano even, or pads or something to fill out the sound a little more. Feels too sparse to fit the sound of the drums.

This is a pretty cool adaptation, lyrics are cool, instrumentation pretty sparse tho, and you need to up the production values. Sorry I can't help you much with the vocals, but confidence is usually the problem with ppl struggling to sing (exceptions are those with too much confidence and being tone deaf), seems like ppl sing more in key when they sing louder.

You should edit your thread title so ppl know you're looking for feedback on your vocals. I don't think ppl with ears for vocals are gonna stumble upon this one just like that.

Thanks. This is a bit out of my comfort zone, I'm used to singing high, and developing my low voice has been a challenge. I changed to 'work in progress', but I think I'll redo some things before I change the title to invite more feedback. I knew my mixing would be off as I let a friend borrow my good headphones, so I was stuck mixing with a pair of ipod buds.

• 1 month later...

I've had the response to this sitting in front of me for a while, sorry:

I still really enjoy the source material. Guitar is nice, if only just a bit too lifeless. Drums could be more prominent in the mix, and after that I'll be able to tell if they need any different kind of processing. The vocals need some work: you can obviously get to the notes, but hitting them immediately and/or staying there seems to be a bit hard for you. Try singing an octave up if you can? Even if it requires you to sing softer, I think that could potentially help your accuracy and actually enhance the feeling you're going for.

The song doesn't feel like it's going anywhere, besides switching up the lyrics. Besides just doing a slower coverish version with lyrics, add additional accompaniment! This could very easily go for the orchestral-rock style if you gather momentum and add backing symphonic instruments. Do more vocal takes to add harmonies for the chorus, and don't leave the song ending where it is. You could turn that ending portion where it fades out right now into a bridge, and come back to another chorus or end in a coda.

In short: good skeleton, not bad, but really throw yourself and your ideas into this and flesh out the arrangement. And tighten up your vocals as best you can. Keep it up!