*NO* EarthBound 'Dreams of Emptiness'

djpretzel

Essentially what protricity said. Also this is very simplistic instrumentally and compositionally. Ambient music can and should take advantage of compositional, or effects processing to create a dense, interesting, atmosphere. Here, I feel this is lacking somewhat. The section when the piano just jumps in is abrupt. And then suddenly it's over. This has a lot of good ideas but could be improved on with more work compositionally or with some effects processing. I also think this could do with some more bottom end. Component synthesis could be used here in some aspects, especially for the lead.

NO

As an aside, anyone that remixes something from EarthBound should feel obligated to provide the name of the source tune used. Give us some info; the soundtrack's got 170 tracks.

http://www.snesmusic.org/spcsets/mo2.rsn - "The Power" (mo2-117.spc)

The opening ambiance was too muffled and nothing ever sounded particularly sharp here on the production. The plodding drums seemed to interference with the atmosphere you were trying to create. The melody finally coming in at 1:11 was strange, but it's EarthBound so I had no problem with it. The reverbed string support that joined at 1:13 wasn't bad but sounded so muffled and overbearing over your lead that it interfered with things. The music box notes at 1:49 also suffered until around 2:10 when the string support drops out because of this. Work desperately on clarity, separation of sounds and proper sound balance there.

The piano taking over at 2:23, though lacking any particularly overt direction, was also not terrible. But the support work underneath the piano was too empty to adequately fill in the gaps for such a sparse lead. When you dropped the support elements around 3:35 to signify the finish, it didn't mean much, as, again, the support was flimsy to begin with. Give your support sounds more substance to make that kind of compositional choice for an ending more meaningful. Keep working at it, Jordan.

NO