*NO* Final Fantasy 8 'All Existence Denied: The Extreme'

DragonAvenger

Project track, for BadAss: The Boss Themes Project

Remixer name: Skummel Maske

Email address: kordeth@hotmail.com

Userid: 21629

Other remixers involved: pu_freak (piano and harp)

Remix title: All Existence Denied: The Extreme

Game: Final Fantasy VIII

Track: The Extreme

Original track for reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01mxuw31GVs

So, I first started out on this arrangement back in late 2007. I had the basic structure

lying around for about a year and a half while working on other mixes, which in

retrospect was a brilliant idea. I churned out some tracks of lesser quality while

learning the ropes before I came back to this one. I participated in Dwelling of Duels

with an early (rough) version of this track.

When the boss themes project came around, I figured I could finish this track for it, and

I even found pu_freak who did my piano parts live, taking the mix to a whole new level!

//Thomas B

---------------------------

I think you had a good approach to this song by putting it into the style you are going for, but there are a few issues in terms of arrangement and style that are holding this back. First off, the beginning up to around 2:30 is pretty coverish; I could honestly get the same effect out of the mix if that part was taken out or shortened. The whispered quote was not my favorite thing, but I think it works in this context. When you start the guitar solo and go from there is when we get to hear some good stuff out of you, and I'd love you to take that section and expand that treatment to the other sections as well. Some of the transitions are pretty weak, especially the one at 2:05.

When you start your solo, I'm noticing that while you're a good player, things seem out of time. I think the backing track is really emphasizing that, which is making things seem more out of time then they really are. It definitely sounds like you are pushing yourself, which is good, but it would be good to alter that section a little to have the background support you more rather than the opposite.

I'm not totally digging the synths in this. They aren't much better than the original, and that is going back to 2000 or so. You could really get a lot more out of this track with some better samples, and I would encourage you to do so. Right now these just aren't cutting it.

You've got a good start here, and there is some work to go, but I would like to hear this again. I think the arrangement is the biggest issue, but the sounds are also an important change. NO (resubmit)

Immediately those harpeggios sound slightly out of time. Stuff like those tom hits should sound huge and epic, here they just sound half hearted. Use layers of drums and maybe other instruments and give it some oomph. When things kick off it gets better. Incredibly boring drum beat, you can do much better then that. As soon as that section feels like it's about to change up and go somewhere interesting it just disappointingly does a big volume drop. The voice over was ok I guess. There was no real build up to the guitar drop in either time, it just starts.

I can hear what you're going for in the arrangement, but the executions are not nearly epic enough to pull of those transition properly. The sudden drops and build ups carry no tension. You've got to be more creative with both production and arrangement to raise the tension from drop ins\outs. If you want those moody piano bits you need to make the listener know something is building and you are about to melt their face with a riff, but they have to wait :P.

Not much variation or creativity in the drums department. Guitars were generally speaking okay but that rhythm tone was a bit weak, no chunky meat to it. You've layered and played them well but the tone is all highs.

I know that seems like a lot of negative points but just trying to give you some specific things to work on.

NO, resub

• 2 weeks later...

My main concern here is the drums, and we've discussed the drums at length together, so I think it might sound familiar to you when i say you need to make the drums sound more exciting. You have the right idea during the solo, where the drums writing is a lot more involved and cool, so take that idea and use it for the entire song. Imagine you are drumming these parts. You don't want to be bored for most of the song, do you? :-)

The production is fine by me, the drums sound good, the guitar has a really old school Megadeth vibe to it, and while the synths aren't blowing me away, they are serviceable. I do think the arrangement intro runs really long, and the drums need to be more exciting, but there is a lot of good feedback here for improving your work. :-)

I think the song is really good but not quite there.

No, please resubmit