OCR02207 - *YES* Final Fantasy 5 'Dragon Wings'

DragonAvenger

J-link

Contact Information

Your ReMixer name: Archangel

Your real name: Jaka Čibej (That's a Slovenian male name, short for Jakob - just to avoid any sex-change stuff, that happens kind of often. XD )

Your email address: jaka (dot) cibej (at) gmail (dot) com

Your website: http://www.reverbnation.com/jakacibejarchangel

Your userid: 23355 (http://ocremix.org/forums/member.php?u=23355)

Submission Information

Name of game(s) arranged: Final Fantasy V

Name of individual song(s) arranged: Lenna's Theme, Ahead On Our Way, The Dragon Spreads Its Wings

Additional information about game including composer, system, etc. (if it has not yet been added to the site): Everything's on the site already, I suppose.

Link to the original soundtrack (if it is not one of the sound archives already available on the site): Already available.

Your own comments about the mix, for example the inspiration behind it, how it was made, etc.:

This is my second submission, let's CELEBRATE! The first one was an arrangement of the Final Fantasy Prelude, which is currently still in the judging process, but I reckon it won't be accepted as it is probably a bit to conservative for the tastes of the OCRemix primarchs. Thus, I decided to make another arrangement for my debut (although I'm participating in the Final Fantasy IX and Seiken Densetsu 3 projects too, so this medley might not turn out to be a debut after all).

As far as the remix is concerned, I chose some of my favorite songs from Final Fantasy V. At the time I was watching HCBailly's playthrough show Let's Play Final Fantasy V on Youtube, and the feeling of nostalgia really pervaded me, so I guess you could say that was a source of inspiration.

I made the arrangement in FL Studio 8, using EWQL Symphonic Orchestra, Symphonic Choirs, Stormdrum, RA, and some other plugins and soundfonts. I used a lot of exotic instruments (like shakuhachi, erhu, Irish low whistle, Uilleann pipes, duduk and so forth) to make the medley sound more - adventurous, I guess. It just seemed like the right choice. =)

That's it, basically. By the time someone has read this, it will probably be 2011, so Happy New Year. XD

Regards

J.

-----------------

- Lenna's Theme

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X181tQjGCLc - Ahead on Our Way

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8pHycJnoXg - The Dragon Spreads It's Wings

Overall, I am loving this mix. The soundscape is very rich, and I like the Eastern flavoring that has been added to it. The songs are arranged very nicely, and each section plays well to the strengths of each source. I do have some issues with the transitions at around 1:00, 2:00, and 2:30 respectively. I felt like they lost of the flow of the song, which was a bit distracting to the overall piece. The transition at 1:00 is the biggest offender for me, I would say it would be the part I would like to see fixed the most out of any of the issues. I also didn't really like the piano from 2:07 to 2:31. It felt out of place, and a little overpowering. Perhaps bringing it down a little in volume would help that section, or changing the piano to something else.

Even with the somewhat weak transitions, I felt this mix was very solid overall.

YES

The harmony in the intro is a little odd, but once things kick off we're cool. Like the combo of orchestra and slightly more esoteric instruments and sound design. Generally very high quality samples being used well, a few odd trills though. Agree with Deia about the strange piano bit and the transitions, but these aren't too damaging. Arrangement flows okay and doesn't suffer from medleyitis. I know Jaka is improving his touch very quickly but this is still safely above bar for me.

YES

PS This guy is one to friggin' watch! He is improving at a pants down crazy rate since this sub. His 3 FFIX project tracks are sweet as, completed with '07 AnSo rivaling speed. You 'erd it here first.

• 2 weeks later...