Big Band?

swordofdestiny

so, i reviewed the score that xenon sent me. some stuff stuck out.

we'll need the rhythm section to record first, of course. a fake kit won't really work unless it's meticulously velocitized, because dynamics have to start back there. beyond that? we desperately will need the trumpets to record first out of all the primary groups, before the trombone and saxes. there's enough questions regarding the sax articulations already, but most of them will be solved if i hear a good trumpet lead explaining what's going on.

speaking of trumpets, we don't have a lead player yet. i'm feeling that whoever does the lead trumpet should do at least parts 1 and 2, to set the style right away.

ok, that's all i got for now.

After playing through the parts, I suggest we find a lead bone player as well.

I'd forgotten that my tenor is a century old Holton Special, which means it's low pitch. Never buy a 1910 horn on eBay when the seller doesn't understand what high pitch/low pitch means.

Given enough time, I could play that part on my bass, but it would honestly sound better on a smaller bore tenor instead of the bathtub that I own.

But, we need a bass player and a lead trumpet before we worry about that I suppose. Actually, SoD hasn't logged in since not long after he made this thread. We may need a trumpet player period if he doesn't show.

I do. It's my 1910 Holton. The guy I bought it from didn't know what he had and it was less than $100, so I jumped on it. He just knew it was old. You know how it goes.

When I got it and checked the serial number, it turned out to be from 1910. I'm not disappointed, because it's cool as shit, but it's definitely not in tune with modern instruments. I can lip it up and alter positions, but some notes still suck.

I can still do it if we don't have any other bone players, but I thought it'd be a good idea to at least throw out the idea of getting a lead player. Either way.

Nevermind, who am I kidding? I have substitute teacher chops. While, yes, I can play a very pretty double Bb, it's not consistent and my stamina/accuracy to do so is like a 13 year old virgin. We'll need a lead bone player. Sign me up for the lower half of the bone section.

Nevermind, who am I kidding? I have substitute teacher chops. While, yes, I can play a very pretty double Bb, it's not consistent and my stamina/accuracy to do so is like a 13 year old virgin. We'll need a lead bone player. Sign me up for the lower half of the bone section.

so, do you know how much autotuning goes on in modern jazz band recordings?

because, you know, that's why i've got melodyne. and melodyne editor. i'm certainly planning on using it for the saxes. if you can get it close, with a consistent tone, you'll be fine.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sorry, got bogged down with a bunch of schoolwork and crap, but I'm still interested in doing this. As for the logistics of recording, those are some good suggestions. I remember my freshman year at UTA when the JE did a recording of a song (that recording was terrible in the end though). What we did, which we can't do was to do a preliminary recording of the piece in the choir room (yeah JE meets in the choir room). The sections recorded together, which obviously we can't do. However, I would be against doing the rhythm group first. Mostly because the rhythm group should play with the band. Meaning they should record last, or have a preliminary vanilla recording with a new recording later that can react to the soloist. Also, Fratto, if you're the Fratto I'm thinking you are, hell, I've been drinking with you before.