*NO* Final Fantasy 8 'Man or Machine'

djpretzel

Email sub file Final_Fantasy_8_Man_Or_Machine_OC_ReMix.mp3 - djp

Hi!

This is my first remix I’m sending in. First of all, I apologize profusely for having this in an attachment. My file hosting site has not been functioning well and may be going down the tubes. So here’s the file. Again I apologize! Hopefully you can go on to listen to the music anyway.

Contact Info:

Remixer name: DJ Skigs

E-mail: Foobaluba@comcast.net

Forum ID: 21097

Remix Info:

Game: Final Fantasy 8

Song: Man With The Machine Gun

I worked on this mix for quite a while, having tried very hard to make it work. Please take a good listen to it and consider me for the next OC Remix!

Sincerely,

Jon Friedman

As with other recent submissions, sound quality is a fairly large issue here. The percussion and many of the synths have a distinct "Fruity Loops preset" sound to them.

Aside from suffering from weak samples, the percussion never quite manages to raise above the banal and remains uninspiring throughout; more variety and more energy are desperately needed in the drum track. And on a sidenote perhaps related to sample quality, there's a faint, yet nonetheless distracting, ringing sound that can be heard during quieter sections- 1:39 for example.

On the plus side however, I will say that the brief section beginning at 1:22 is pretty interesting and shows a decent amount of creativity. Good job there.

NO

http://www.tzone.org/~llin/psf/packs2/FF8_minipsf.rar - 119 "The Man With the Machine Gun"

So I was just commenting to myself before I checked this one, "we sure got a higher number of (lame) MIDI mixes this time around." and it could be more true since I joined. Like Israfel has pointed out in an earlier decision from this batch, I just don't see the excuse for using such cruddy MIDI stuff when decent free soundfonts are available to help enhance your product. Go for whatever help y'all can get.

This one has nothing going for it. It gets very shrill from :41-:55 (and of course later on in the mix, since stuff repeats). Anyway, there was a bare amount of rearrangement, but this is just a tame MIDI-grade remix. I suppose the style of the instrumentation or what-have-you would justify the mix title, but it doesn't work in preveting it from coming across as a poorly sequenced, very shrill cover in a different key with some off notes. No innovation whatsoever. I realize from the e-mail, Jon, that it took you work to make this, as you're starting out, but this needs way more effort at being creative on the arrangement side, along with non-cruddy sounds. Otherwise, just stick to VGMusic and see if they'll bite.

NO

The production quality causes the track's workability to plummet completely off the radar. i haven't heard that awful of sounds from anything... not even my old casio 77CT is as bad as this. I wouldn't even say that FL's standards have to sound this bad... everything is either flat, abrasive or uininspiring.

however. the arrangement shines in a few places (although for the most part it is lined with boring drums, a subpar bassline and otherwise no creativity). i agree with michael on the success of 1.22, i really did like that part of the track... the idea is a good one but its execution hindered by the samples.

it sucks when a good idea gets punched in the balls by shitty sound - like gray mentioned, checkout hammersound feel free to ask for help at our remixing forums and throughout the scene.

otherwise, here's a NO to gaze upon for a bit.