*NO* Dance Dance Revolution Extreme 'Unknown Syncopation'

djpretzel

Email sub file Unknown Syncopation.mp3 - djp

Hi. It's me, Kairon. I belive that several weeks ago I submitted a remix called Unknown Syncopation (remix of Sync from DDR Extreme) but I'm not sure if I got a submission confirmation. In case there was a mix-up, here it is again.

P.S. If my mix is not posted, feedback would be wonderful as to why not, to help me improve further mixes. ;)

I put the original of this in the upload folder in the FTP thingy. 'sync (EXTREME version).mp3'

Nice intro, sounds like cut up strings or something, the attack is really quick. The string playing 1/4 beat from 0.23 fading in doesn't sound so hot. The intro had promise, but then when the drums came in it felt like an anti-climax, because the beats were rather weak.

There's no breakdown here, and this doesn't add anything big to the original. Instruments sound dry, meaning that the mix lacks atmosphere.

3.07 - Don't like the sudden stop here, that's quite jarring, and the slowdown ending isn't effective imo, because the mix hasn't got enough energy to warrant it.

Percussion is weak, no sense of atmosphere, seems to take away from the original rather than add to it.

NO

The intro was very flat to me so I disagree with Malc there, and the cymbals and additional synth entering in at :23 were very flimsy-sounding. No meat behind anything; thicken your sounds up. When the melody went up at :53, I said out loud, "Wow, that's just terrible". The same note progression sounds a lot better coming from the source tune.

No offense, but the execution is very, very amateur-ish. None of the samples are articulated well, most noticeably the faux-strings in the background, while everything here lacks presence. The poorly sequenced vox entering in at 1:56 only reinforced this.

By the 2:30 mark, I realized there wasn't much development here at all either. Very, very conservative & repetitive arrangement here and poor execution from the aenemic sounds. You've got to do everything you can to strengthen the sounds you're using and fashion more viable rearrangement ideas with further creativity. Back to the drawing board, I'm afraid.

NO

Malcos + Liontamer pretty much covered the major problems here. This really is sort of a 'downgrade' and re-sequencing of the original. Doesn't seem like a lot of effort went into the percussion (I recognize a bunch of the samples) or the synth/sample-work: basically, the number one issue with the mixing is that EVERYTHING is dry as hell. Learn to make use of reverb, delay, chorusing, flanging, phasing, filtering, and automation - you can get a hand with that at the Remixing forum, it's not as intimidating as it seems. I think I understand where you were trying to go with this, but the actual implementation of everything just didn't work out. It's also important, especially when using a really progressive and energetic original mix, to have a strong arrangement. A daunting task, for sure, but you can start by working in variations of the melody, adding new harmonies, using layering of sounds to create a more defined structure in your mix, and creating new sections in the same style as the original.

So, the bottom line here is NO. Don't be discouraged, though. My best advice, in short, would be to head over to the Remixing forum and start going through the sample/VST/FL help threads. Good luck!

This is kind of a mess. The construction, mixing and arrangement results in a disappointing mix.

Thin, boring synth leads. Check out zircon's review for more on that.

Without repeating on and on what the other judges rightfully said, this needs better arrangement and better production. The ending made no sense for me, it had an awkward transition then it repeated the melody. Generic and the pause was weird and abrupt. Keep practicing. I hope to hear more from you next time.

NO