Hi! Here's my submission!

Contact info

Remixer name: phantasia

email: emil_bohman@hotmail.com

User id: 31369

Submission info:

Game arranged: Jet Force Gemini

Name of song arranged: Water Ruins

Additional information: Developed by Rare for N64, music by Robin Beanland and Graeme Norgate.

Link to the original soundtrack: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ji8OG3KwoHA

Own comments: I decided to remix a tune from Jet Force Gemini because the game is very close at heart for me, and the music is very nostalgic. Plus there is no remix of this game on this site so far, so I was especially motivated to change that. My first idea what to do something fingerstyle guitar, since that's my probably my strongest musical suit, but I also experimented quite a bit with this some other stuff in song. There is a lot of improvisation going on in this song. As a result the style is pretty mixed and very personalized. I hope you'll find it enjoyable :)

---

Regards, Emil Bohman

• 2 weeks later...

The arrangement seemed a little long, but I did like the guitar playing a good deal, and the references to the source in both melodic and rhythmic ways were pretty solid. Some of the revereb elements bled a little bit, but overall the production was pretty clear.

There is a good deal of original material present, but the source melodies are always brought back, and the source feels pretty dominant. Due to the length though, I can't help but think this might be better with a little bit of editing; on the other hand, it's more of an atmospheric piece, which can benefit from a longer arrangement. Either way it's a close call for me, but i'm inclined to give this one the nod. Good luck with the other judges, I have a feeling this one will be close. :-)

Yes

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Andrew that the guitar playing is really nice, and the arrangement is in itself very good, but the source is pretty sparse in here. I don't think it's so sparse as to not be recognized, but I would have liked to hear just a little bit more of it throughout.

To me the violin sample is very mechanical, and it sounds fake compared to the guitar sound. If it had been more alone, I think I wouldn't be so against it, but here it seems to stick out more than it should. I'd like to see that addressed. I agree with Andrew on the reverb blending a little bit as well.

While each problem isn't big on it's own, I think this one is just under the bar for me. I'd love to see this one again, though, after it's fixed up.

NO (resubmit)

I only heard source in this in the following places: 0:09-1:00, 1:32-1:56, 2:31-3:06, 4:32-4:57. I suspect there's more I'm missing, but as it turns out it's not gonna affect my vote.

This is an unorthodox remix in some ways, which is a double-edged sword. I don't think I've heard a remix with these kinds of style changes mid-song. The mix of sparse guitar and strings with some ambient backgrounds and a drum machine clap was also unique. The guitar playing is excellent and expressive, and though the timing between the guitar and the other instruments got off at times, it gave this a live feel. But it's very easy to turn those things around on you. The many style changes made this feel segmented and not of one piece, and sometimes directionless too. The loose playing/sequencing was too sloppy at times. Also, there's no way around criticizing the violin, the stiffness of it really detracts from the song.

I don't think it's passable in the state its in and I'm not sure what it would take for me to pass it. The violin and the loose playing are not that hard to fix. The segmented issue is a hard thing to fix, and it would take you really examining how to give this song more direction, possibly excising some sections from this. Whatever you choose to do, good luck with your future music.

NO

• 4 weeks later...

These fakey string samples are killing me.

Guitar sounds great and is played well. There's a nice folksy approach here in this track; feels like I could be hiking through the tundra or something. Percussion especially is nice.

Problem is I think you need some more source usage and you need to think about your transitions and making them a little less abrupt.

Would like to hear this again with some revisions. NO, resub

Cool sounding guitar, Love the strumming. But the string sample is way out of place. I'd actually rather hear you play that on the guitar. There's no reason this can't be a 4-guitars sort of piece without sounding terrific. But even just getting a better string sample will make this piece better.

NO until the strings are touched up.