*NO* Legend of Zelda 'Hang Ten Hyrule' (djp-invent-a-title)

djpretzel

I'm not sure if this really fits in with your site, but I figured what the heck, I'll give it a go.

The song can be found here:

Go to "downloadable songs" and download "The Legend of Zelda."

Remixer name: It's actually a band called "The Number Sixes."

Email: commanderborgnine@yahoo.com

Forum ID: Borgnine

Name of Remix: Well we call it "Theme from the Legend of Zelda," but I guess that's not allowed? How 'bout "Zelda Surf," or "Surfin' with Zelda?" Or you can make up whatever you want, it's not that important. : )

Name of song remixed: Theme from the Legend of Zelda

Comments: Well, like I said, in the short visit to your site I only came across electronic remixes, so I don't know if this "fits." But I figured you guys would want to hear it anyway if you're fans of video game music. We've been playing this for years and years, it's always a favorite.

so i think the guitar is too loud, but it has been brought to my attention that in surf music it's supposed to sound like that. OKAY.

aside from that, the song is very simple and straightforward, it plays thru the melody a few times, never really changes anything. it does have a cool authentic feel, and i cant exactly remember any surf music that DID have sophisticated layers of depth and arrangement, but that doesnt mean that this mix couldnt, or shouldnt.

NO

i would have liked to hear some more elaboration, some more variety, etc.

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/zelda.zip - "Title" (Track 1) & "Ending" (Track 2)

Damn, too bad. Yeah, this needs more going on with the melody as well as the percussion work in particular. Not a bad idea for the ending. You know, using the...Ending.

More variety in the performace, please. Too bad though; if this was 4 years ago, this would have been a shoe-in. If the support instruments had more going on, I could at least pull for it on some level, though you need a lot more variety applied beyond that.

Cool genre idea though. Throw this up at VGMix and get your band some additional word-of-mouth. Feel free to resubmit after some more development if you guys are willing to do that; we could use a quality surf remix.

NO

The guitar playing and recording here sounds good to me, though there seems to be some fairly excessive reverb making it a little muddy. Some high end EQing could possibly fix that, if you can't get rid of the reverb; the same applies to the piano part at the end. More variety in the guitar playing would really be great here. It's always good to have variation, but in particular when you're working with a simple melody like the LoZ theme, not putting in improv/original stuff can leave things pretty bare. Like Vig said, the level of depth/layering here, even though it's sufficient for the intended genre, is below our standards. However, what you have now is a good start - with some added variation in the playing, more layers of support and harmony, and maybe some touching up of the mastering issues I mentioned, this would be a rock solid mix.

NO

This mix does nail the surf-guitar style. I think the lead has a tad too much reverb personally. My main issue here is I think more is needed as far as expanding the melody or background components. It's too straightforward.

I'm very torn, as this is cool and I like this one a lot. NO for now. Please expand on this and resubmit.