*NO* Sonic the Hedgehog 'Dusk of Scrap Forest'

DragonAvenger

Hello OCremix,

Below is my contact and submission information. Before I start I'd like to extend my appreciation for your website, and bringing credibility and seriousness to the art of gaming music, and for all of the great music and projects it has inspired and produced.

ReMixer Name: DoctorDevmo

Email: devinpolaski@gmail.com

Submission Info:

Game: Sonic the Hedgehog 1

Song Arranged: Scrap Brain Zone

Comments:

I am a composer for film and video productions, and am used to creating a lot of epic, orchestral-influenced music for different movies. But ever since I was 4 years old I've been obsessed with Sonic the Hedgehog, and gaming in general. Strangely enough I've hardly married my love for gaming with my film music, and I was finally driven towards making this song for a fan game.

I've always loved the Genesis FM synthesis instruments in the Sonic games, but with this I wanted to approach it from a more serious, realistic approach, to really convert the song from catchy to epic. I also drew inspiration from some of the music from Sonic Unleashed, which is interesting in that the style reflects the part of the world it represents. I wanted to take on a 'world music' approach with this song by including more African-styled drum kits and Indian-influenced string instruments. This song was created entirely in Logic Pro.

Feel free to leave me any feedback on the song, and also to visit my website, where you can view my other music and video creations.

Thank you very much for your time, and I will be eagerly awaiting the results. Talk to you later, and keep up the amazing work with the website!

Sincerely,

Devin

---------------------

I love this approach to the source. There's a lot of great things going on here, and overall the arrangement is very well done. The various sound elements are used effectively, and although the soundscape is a little sparse at times (I would have liked some more subtle backing pads during the more empty sections), there is a lot of emotion packed in this.

The balance of instruments is pretty good, without sections feeling crowded or overdone. Overall I felt that at times some of the instruments weren't treated to sound in the same space as others. Some of the percussion sounds a little too forefront compared to the brass and strings at times as an example.

Nice approach to this source, I want to see this fixed up.

NO (resubmit)

The arrangement of this is pretty solid, but the sounds aren't quite meshing in the way they need to. Deia already mentioned that some stuff sounds too dry, and that is a definite issue, and not just for the percussion for me. I think you'll need to take a look at the room sound for every instrument and make sure it is a cohesive sound overall. The vocals were cool but way too far forward, and the only thing that really sounded treated was the strings.

I recommend hitting up the WIP thread for this track, it's definitely close, but needs a little bit more polish to hit the front page.

No, please resubmit

• 1 month later...

Man this is like....THIS CLOSE.

|| <-- THIS CLOSE!!!!

I gotta agree with my fellow joojes. There's some balance issues going on, especially with the percussion. Over-compression maybe? I feel like the percussion is too prevalent in the bigger sections; not really sitting well in the mix.

Aside from that this is pretty jawesome. Nice interpretation, love the tribal feel.

Let's get some polish and go go go.

NO, resub plz