*NO* Pro Wrestling 'Fighters Anthem' *RESUB*

djpretzel

LT Edit - Original decision: http://www.ocremix.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=44882

Hi.

My nickname is Robo.

FIGHTERS ANTHEM :::::::::

This is the new version of "Creaky Wrestling Tune". Actually I replaced the old tune for the new one long ago but to my disappointment you had already made a review of "Creaky.." just before I put it up.

Now. According to the last review it seems not to many people are very familiar with the original song. That one is only 10 seconds long. One baseline and a lead. (Unfortunately I havn't found any NSF of it, if you know, please put a link). But still it rocks! I remember sitting paralysed in front of the tv just listening to that tune over and over again.

You see, that's the whole point. The beat goes on.

Last time you complained about just that. From my point of view, it lacked texture in the arrangement, that's what the new version sorts out, and maybe that's why you got bored. But the beat going on.. that's most deliberate.

Well. You might still think it's repetitive though. In that case, try to listen to it as if it was from a NES tribute album or something.

I know very well what I'm doing. Music production and composing is my profession. And as to this point, you still have no Pro Wrestling song at your site. Ain't that a shame. ;)

Anyway. This is the final version. Hope you dig it enough.

• 2 weeks later...

I only heard some light ambiance and effects added to this one compared to the first version we judged. It does fill some stuff out a bit more, but that's not really a reason to resubmit. Everything else is the same.

With an issue I mentioned last time, if 2:17-2:58 didn't come off as so unstructured (especially during the fadeout), I'd be willing to YES this. You do in fact provide a good amount of variation in the forefront while retaining the same percussion foundation most of the way. However, retaining the exact same beat the whole is not something many submissions can quite pull off.

2:17-2:58 left the repetitive percussion patterns too exposed. I wasn't really agreeing with zyko on the arrangement not going anywhere until that point, and the lead synth there attempts to freestyle on top of the arrangement but comes across as too aimless. Sorry, bro, but I would have to hear some revisions for the last minute to secure a YES. Altering the drums there wouldn't have to be an overhaul that would ruin the concept of the track. Just something subtle. The Pro Wrestling melody and the drums for that last section are just too repetitive for the track in the big picture.

It's a catchy track though, Mattias, and a quality homage, believe me. I genuinely enjoyed it. Though I'd like to hear more done with this, post it to VGMix if you're not willing to work on this any longer. Otherwise, hit up the WIP forum here and resubmit.

NO

OCR has a policy of a maximum 192kbps encoding rate for mp3s. This is over that.

Repetitive, oldschool percussion does not a good mix make. Sequencing sounds very mechanical and robotic as well. I understand the attempt to try to sound nostalgic, but I think the arrangement is ok, and the production is below average. At times this is pretty groovy and catchy, so it's definitely salvageable, but it needs quite a bit of work with the arrangement and production. So I agree with the other judges, this is a NO for me.