*NO* Faxanadu 'A Man with a Mantra'

djpretzel

http://www.zophar.net/nsf/faxanadu.zip - Track 5 (:00-:24), Track 1 (:51-1:16), apparently 5 or 6 tracks in a medley

The piano is incredibly mechanically sequenced. So is the percussion. So are the strings. The xylophone's a little more tolerable on that level, but doesn't seem to quite fit it despite the upbeat nature of the track. The xylo levels could be more subdued if anything. The light choir/vox is also more tolerable since they aren't loud, but that all needs work on humanization.

Not much in the way of dynamics here. Cool vox usage at 2:44 & 2:49, as a little side note. The arrangement wasn't too bad by me, but I can't tell where all the source tune use is from. Point that kind of stuff out to us for big medley pieces.

Once you learn how to humanize your instruments and get the sounds flowing more naturally, you'll be in a much better position. Digging around your website just now, one guy pretty much told you the same thing, so it's nothing you haven't heard before, honestly. Keep at it, bro.

NO

i had huge problems with this when i first heard it back on vgmix. my main gripe is the complete lack of touch - this is a mechanical mix of source material that NEEDS and BEGS for a very dynamic, human performance... the original didn't have it and the arrangement should.

unfortunately i got bored listening to this and its likely to bore others as well. you need to work around having such a mechanical sound unless it was actually intentional in which case, you did not make that obvious... and so it smacks of a simple lack of dynamic

bold attempt, just a bit short

NO

As was mentioned, the piano and percussion in particular have a rather mechanical feel to them. And I question the use of a string sample with such a slow attack for some of the more "active" phrases.

That being said, for me anyway, this is a piece where the quality of arrangement transcends the somewhat poor sample quality. Despite the variety of thematic material, there's a commendable amount of consistency to the arrangement and the transitions between themes strike me as very fluid and well-handled. But more to the point, I have to say that I feel that this is just better composed than a good number of the mixes that I hear- even if the "performance" of the composition is nothing particularly special. There aren't flashy samples here, but the writing is simply too well executed to overlook. Reminds me of some of the sampled electronic music of the early 90's actually.

YES

This is tricky. Israfel noted a lot of the positives in this mix that I also enjoyed. I actually liked the arrangement here. Sequencing is very mechanical, but I don't think it detracts this kind of mix too badly. Production is average. There are some excellent samples here, like the choir, but it's not used to its full potential. The mix is in need of more reverb, better eqing. Right now the samples, good as they are, sound kind of dull due to the lack of processing.

The last quarter of the mix is particularly solid and enjoyable.

I really hope you consider working on this more and resubmitting. I want to Yes it, but right now it needs a bit more work. Borderline No.