*NO* Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask '6 Hours' *FALLTHROUGH*

OceansAndrew

Because the final hours source is so ambient to begin with, and this isn't terribly changed from that source, it's hard not to call this coverish. Things are changed around, however, but a lot of it is subtle. The Astral Observatory source, however, is treated fantastically, and I really loved hearing that when it came in. Combining the two sources like that really does make this piece a lot better, so overall I dig the arrangement.

Samples are pulling this down, though. The choir attack is pretty slow which makes things a little muddy. Strings are alright, although their attack is a little slow at times as well. Also, might be personal preference, but I am not crazy with the lead synth at 1:13.

This is actually a tough call, but overall it is winning me over. Good luck with the rest of the vote.

YES

Tough call for me. The sound scape is pretty lush though in some spots lo-fi, and generally full, but it's so ambient, it's hard to really get a feel for it without a ton of listens. Of course, that means I just listened to it a ton. :P

The first half of the mix started to drag, but the second half really made up lost time. I think overall a little trimming would have improved it, and additional interpretation on the frontside.

I think adjusting some of the samples slightly to not bleed as much, adding interpretation to the first half, and trimming it down slightly would tip this over for me. Right now it's good, but not completely there for me.

No, please resubmit

• 4 weeks later...

Yikes, what's with the modulation at 2:20? Incredibly jarring. The textures are nice, though nothing terribly nuanced, which means that it gets tiresome after almost 4 minutes. For a minimalist track to work, there has to be some sort of direction, whether it manifests in the soundscape or composition. The B section at 4:00 is similarly nice but underrealized.

Pretty close, but I think you need to make the A section develop more.

NO

• 4 weeks later...

Biggest problem here is the lack of nuance that Vig mentioned. Even ambient needs to have more going on to capture the listener's attention, and the textures here aren't complex enough and don't evolve. You've got something that sounds good, but it needs more to it over the course of the song.

That bell sound in the intro got overdone. It should be more subtle and change in some way (volume, pitch, rhythm). The string attacks in the B-section were too slow and there was a lot of bleeding of chords.

NO (resubmit)

• 1 month later...

Yeah, the "Last Day" material had a cool sonic texture going on, but wasn't interpretive beyond the instrumentation changes. It was enjoyable to listen to though, so adding melodic variations there to personalize this more would definitely help. It would have to be pretty significant though, since "Last Day" took up the majority of the piece. As is, there's a lack of development due to a lack of interpretation.

I actually thought the transition to "Astral Observatory" around 3:45 was too abrupt, awkward and short, so I didn't see how the two portions of the track thematically connected, so I disagreed with Deia saying it all clicked together nicely. Both sections sounded fine overall, just unrelated. There needed to be a better bridge built between the sinister first 2/3rds followed by the syrupy lead of the closing section.

Texturally, I actually thought this was fine overall. If the arrangement were fully developed, sure the texture would have sounded a bit thin, but nothing that was a dealbreaker. For me, it was all about the most of the arrangement lacking interpretation, and the two sources not piecing together thematically.

You have a good sound here, Alec. If you can get the other more important part of the package (the arrangement) fully developed, you'd have a winning track as far as the standards here go, so you shouldn't be discouraged. In a vacuum, this is still an enjoyable piece, so I hope we hear more from you!

NO